Apatasia Control

abfds001

So I had a major breakout of these pesky critters blooming everywhere. I did the lemon thing and ApX stuff with little success as they came back a few weeks later. Decided on going to a natural predator and not the branch type. I chose a file fish. Cool fish especially when he stands on his nose. The little guy hid for a few days then made his grand debut by picking on a few Apatasia that decided to push over my GSP's to the point that thay began to recede and die off. After he cleared out a rock the size of a softball (about 50+ Apatasias) the GSP began to return and fill the rock back up, he then began to target the smaller areas that the apatasia where overtaking and ultimately eradicated them all. All this took place in a span of one month. So now the bad, Although he loves myasis, krill and shrimp, he started to eyeball my hammers and frogs and ate two heads on each, needless to say i had to remove my 25 head hammer and frog to another tank till i trap him and remove from my main tank. most likely will house him in my fuge for now. Now if anyone out there has an apatasia issue and would like to rent the guy.....lol, drop me a message and perhaps i can help. He is a hardy eater as he probably ate over 200 :dance:eek:f them and he does eat the frozen food also.

I have an aptasia issue and have debated on getting one of these file fish.... but I have a torch and purple tip hammer that I like haha.

Those filefish scare me. They are a ticking timebomb in any mixed reef. Better off with a lot of elbow grease. IMHO regular apx use is the best treatment. Not perfect but the most effective and least destructive.

Those filefish scare me. They are a ticking timebomb in any mixed reef. Better off with a lot of elbow grease. IMHO regular apx use is the best treatment. Not perfect but the most effective and least destructive.

APTASIA X only potentiates the problem so I have noticed. Same thing with the lemon juice and the boiling water.

I am getting 5 peppermint shrimp today and see how that works for me. All while I am setting up a QT this weekend for a CBB

APTASIA X only potentiates the problem so I have noticed. Same thing with the lemon juice and the boiling water.

I am getting 5 peppermint shrimp today and see how that works for me. All while I am setting up a QT this weekend for a CBB

Why do you think so?If you cover the petal disk it can't release planula. Also. Please don't think I'm trying to argue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Why do you think so?If you cover the petal disk it can't release planula. Also. Please don't think I'm trying to argue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I know ur not trying to argue. I dont like Aptasia X. I have used it before and followed all the directions but there are always aptasias in places you wont ever get as opposed if you use a an animal to get rid of them. And in my experience with aptasia x's you always end up with more in the end a few months down the line

I am also considering a cbb, I have noticed that it is one of the fish that the majority of reefers tend to not qt due to their sensitivity and overall difficulty to get them to eat. From what I have researched most people that qt them end up flushing them.

I am also considering a cbb, I have noticed that it is one of the fish that the majority of reefers tend to not qt due to their sensitivity and overall difficulty to get them to eat. From what I have researched most people that qt them end up flushing them.

Yeah I know what you mean, my only concern is... putting it in right away and it getting lymphocytosis.

Well managed to rescue my torch and frogs by placing into my son nano. File fis still in MT and is getting cocky by averting my attempts to catch. It will be done then its off to the fugue for him.....

Back