Aptaisia in mantis tank

ReefRaf

I need some suggestions on removing aptaisia from my tank. The usual peppermint shrimp trick won't work for obvious reasons. What does everyone else do? Thanks!

You can use a hypodermic needle and inject the aiptasia with a concentrated kalk mix or boiling hot water. It's time consuming but it works.

HTH

Ryan, I thought of that but though injecting kalk into a small (10g) tank would affect the pH too much. Boiling water might do it though.

I have 2 Aptaisia in my main tank. I have tried the boiling water trick and it worked on one of them but not on the other, but I personally am not worried because the Aptaisia is in a realy high flow area and has never release any small Aptaisia.

That's what I said a few months ago and now I have about 50 in the tank. Even at 50% odds, I'll try the boiling water!:)

Is apstasia a problem with Mantis's?? I dont know if you saw my post a few weeks ago but basically what I am trying to do is set up my mantis aquarium using nothing but "reject" organisms...apstasia included. This will also include the many unwanted algae and perhaps some damsels (I personally hate those mean little suckers :D ). Anyways..will that be a problem??

Boiling water trick....... the catch is "it MAY work"...

I would do 2 things. If there's not much you need to salvage on the rock, take the LR out and scrub it clean. Simmer the rock into kalk solution if you have to.

2. If there are corals you want to salvage on the rock, siphon the aiptasia out instead. Use a rigid air tubing attached to a python hose connected to faucet (You will have to do some modification on the hose on your own), turn on the faucet to create a strong siphon, suck the little suckers down the drain.

I would personally prefer the first method.

Chris,

The aiptasia in the tank shouldn't be a threat to your mantis although left unchecked it becomes pretty unsightly for any aquarium. I'm not sure if keeping up unwanted algae (AKA cyano, red slime, etc.) is such a good idea. These alga tend to be the byproduct of unwanted water conditions (high TDS's, phosphates, etc.). This is don't believe will be a healthy environment for your Mantis.

Is apstasia a problem with Mantis's?? I dont know if you saw my post a few weeks ago but basically what I am trying to do is set up my mantis aquarium using nothing but "reject" organisms...apstasia included. This will also include the many unwanted algae

Ryan

Hmm....thanx for the advice Ryan. Maybe I wont be making a reject tank after all :). I dont know if you saw but my mantis molted successfully 3 days ago. He just took soft food today.

Back