Aptasia gone!!!

wweste4721

Ok so not sure if this is in the right area but feel free to move it but I was having an aptaisa issue bot bad by anymeans just a couple clusters every now n then I used aptasia x on the larger heads as they grew but none got very big to begin with well long story short the only thing in my tank at the time was 2 clowns no coral or anything and I didn't have access to decloranator at the time or a way to get distilled or purified water so I added tap water to top off the tank for the course of about 2 weeks and all aptasia is gone detritus is a bit of a problem because of the silicate but no aptasia found anywhere period did the tap water kill it??

Ok so not sure if this is in the right area but feel free to move it but I was having an aptaisa issue bot bad by anymeans just a couple clusters every now n then I used aptasia x on the larger heads as they grew but none got very big to begin with well long story short the only thing in my tank at the time was 2 clowns no coral or anything and I didn't have access to decloranator at the time or a way to get distilled or purified water so I added tap water to top off the tank for the course of about 2 weeks and all aptasia is gone detritus is a bit of a problem because of the silicate but no aptasia found anywhere period did the tap water kill it??
And ik tank police that was a no no but I had to top the sump tank off and my tap water isn't horrible

Sometimes tap water is necessary as a last resort. As for it killing it…that would be a first for me but inverts (I’d assume to include Aiptasia) are generally more sensitive than fish so if it had a little bit of chlorine, might have been just enough to affect them?

@kharmaguru @pinnatus @BeanAnimal any thoughts?

Typically the chlorine leaves the tap water fairly quickly after being exposed to the air. But it maybe had an effect. It’s hard to really know. But I’d take my blessings and be glad its gone, meanwhile I’d really try to get an RO/DI system. They really aren’t that expensive and will save you many headaches in the future. Mine is piped into my auto topoff, which is really convenient and keeps salinity very steady.

I’m not sure what worked, but congrats! That’s awesome!

If tap water was the answer to aiptasia I think some reefers might jump out a window.

Back