AquaClear HOB Modifications

Reeferman1019

Running my 10G reef tank with a AquaClear 50 HOB filter. Currently I run filter with the Foam pad along with a bag of Purigen. Should I continue to use this setup? Or should I make any modifications to the filter? Any ideas or advice would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running my 10G reef tank with a AquaClear 50 HOB filter. Currently I run filter with the Foam pad along with a bag of Purigen. Should I continue to use this setup? Or should I make any modifications to the filter? Any ideas or advice would help.

With my 20G SPS skimmerless and sumpless frag tank, I used 3 filter pads and a bag of BRS carbon and GFO (4tbs each) and cleaned and changed every two weeks. I also did weekly 5/gal water change and everything did well!

With my 20G SPS skimmerless and sumpless frag tank, I used 3 filter pads and a bag of BRS carbon and GFO (4tbs each) and cleaned and changed every two weeks. I also did weekly 5/gal water change and everything did well!

1. Did you change filter pads at the same time when you did your water changes?

2. You used 4 tbs of GFO and changed it every 2 weeks? Was this normal GFO or the high capacity GFO?

I've done a few simplistic tanks with Aquaclears and just gutted them so that I could fill with live rock rubble. They make great mini 'fuges because of the large size of them. You can just leave enough room for a piece of polyfilter or other media. Let the bugs eat any food that gets sucked in. 0 maintenance that way.

I've done a few simplistic tanks with Aquaclears and just gutted them so that I could fill with live rock rubble. They make great mini 'fuges because of the large size of them. You can just leave enough room for a piece of polyfilter or other media. Let the bugs eat any food that gets sucked in. 0 maintenance that way.

If I do decide to run Rubble Rock would I just remove the sponge that comes with it and replace with a few pieces of rubble rock?

Also would it be safe to still add my GFO and Purigen in there in a mesh bag?

Yes. If you leave enough area to put the media in, it works. Gut the backside of the filter. I don't believe in sponges - particularly in that application. Sponges just trap waste and keep it away from other organisms that will eat/degrade it. If water free flows through rock rubble, 'pods and other scavengers will have a nice safe home to consume any food/waste that gets trapped.

Yes. If you leave enough area to put the media in, it works. Gut the backside of the filter. I don't believe in sponges - particularly in that application. Sponges just trap waste and keep it away from other organisms that will eat/degrade it. If water free flows through rock rubble, 'pods and other scavengers will have a nice safe home to consume any food/waste that gets trapped.

I gutted the filter and put inside some rubble rock on the bottom, then my bag of purigen and last on top the filter sponge. I wanted to leave the sponge on top for a little mechanical filtration and there was a lot of pods living in there didn't want them to hurt them. Later down the road I will probably toss the sponge. What you think about this setup?

It's how I did them - minus the sponge. Then again, I don't promote mechanical filtration on any of my systems. It just wastes food that other organisms would consume and adds another chore. But that's just me and many people disagree with it.

It's how I did them - minus the sponge. Then again, I don't promote mechanical filtration on any of my systems. It just wastes food that other organisms would consume and adds another chore. But that's just me and many people disagree with it.

you had an all around good systems without the use of sponges?

Back