Arduino Aquarium Controller

I have not for got I want to try to build this and make it work I have all the parts just need to get the website part set up to run on my website and domain

I am replacing my current solenoids with these: http://www.wicvalve.com/
They are excellent and a good price. You can even select your coil voltage! I will be building a salt water mixing station next. My plan is to only dump a bag of salt in and it will do the rest. I will also experiment with a better web site GUI.

I have been working on the web page mostly. Some of the physical parts are built. This wont be using an arduino but a beaglebone black instead.
Since nothing is really working yet i made a simulated site to show how it'll work. Click on parts and turn them on or off. I will prob make another thread with a complete explanation of everything once its near complete. Let me know what you guys think! After this project i think ill be updating the display tanks controller and web site.

http://www.rareglitch.net/SWMS/index_sim.html

Was wandering around the site and came across your thread. Really nice stuff. Been playing around some with an arduino so was interested to see how you had done things.

However, the thing that caught my attention and wanted to ask about is those solenoids you gave a link to. Is it safe to use brass on the aquarium's plumbing? Since brass is a copper/zinc alloy, I would be worried about copper getting into the system. Is this not an issue with brass?

Not much to report yet. I have made some progress on the beaglebone code with python but have been busy with other stuff so haven't had much time to complete this project. Should be able to resume work on it soon.

Hi Joopie, so glad i found this. I have been reading all i can on the arduino and was about to start my controller project. do you know if the new Adruino Tre can serve as an upgrade to the Mega?

Hi Joopie, so glad i found this. I have been reading all i can on the arduino and was about to start my controller project. do you know if the new Adruino Tre can serve as an upgrade to the Mega?

Definitely looks like an upgrade. I just took a look at the specs and saw the new web IDE it uses. Looks awesome! My new project is using a beaglebone black, which i love since i can host everything from it(web server,database,IO,controller). According to the article they developed the Tre from arduino and beaglebone. If you are familiar with the arduino platform i would hold out for the Tre, otherwise check out beaglebone. The beaglebone is not as well documented as arduino but if you know linux then you should be able to figure it out. Once i finish this project i plan on converting over the fish tank controller to the beaglebone(or maybe a Tre =) ) Then ill host the web server and database off of it and can remove the PC under the stand. That'll lower the power bill slightly.

I use SSH to remote into my beaglebone from any location so i can work on it. I am able to access the files from my network and can just program that way as well. Here is a screen shot of my SSH session.
pic.png

Awesome, thanks for confirming. I will hold out for the tre. I already have a synology Nas which I used to use for hosting website and running the sql dB for them. Now to compile the shopping list for the aquarium controller. We may be working on these at the same time depending on when it releases and when you finish your current project...lol

So the SWMS is setup and running, i can manually control it via the website right now.The level is kinda messed up right now due to reflections of the ultrasonic. Here is a view of the linux console controlling it, and the actual setup. site: www.rareglitch.net/SWMS

swmsbbb.PNG

swms.JPG

Last edited:
joopie, I really like what you've done with the controller. I particularly like being able to view the tanks parameters remotely. I would feel better about monitoring my tank with that capability. I thought there were about 33 pages to this. I only see 3 now. Did I miss something? Is there any way to get a complete copy of the source code you used in this project?

joopie, I really like what you've done with the controller. I particularly like being able to view the tanks parameters remotely. I would feel better about monitoring my tank with that capability. I thought there were about 33 pages to this. I only see 3 now. Did I miss something? Is there any way to get a complete copy of the source code you used in this project?

I'm sorry, you'll have to scavenge the thread for the pieces you need. I wanted it to be more of a take what you need thing, and not provide a full package so people will build there own system. Maybe once i switch everything over to the beaglebone i'll package it all up and post it. I'll be glad to answer any questions or help out with coding.

Source code

Source code

Hello

I love your work.
I want to know if you can post the new code of the ardiuno and website please.

Thank you
ps : excuse me for my english.

joopie on the first 2 pages are those all the scripts I would need to run a setup like you have now or is there some missing??

Hello

I love your work.
I want to know if you can post the new code of the ardiuno and website please.

Thank you
ps : excuse me for my english.

The new code for the mixing station is written in python and ran on a beaglebone black. I don't plan on sharing any of the mixing station stuff until its complete.

joopie on the first 2 pages are those all the scripts I would need to run a setup like you have now or is there some missing??

I did leave out the PHP code that stores the information into the database that was sent from the arduino Trender function. I will release a package of the arduino side of stuff soon as i switch everything over.

Back