Article on Books... I dont have those!

hahnmeister

In Memoriam
I might have one of those books in Pro's list of 'books to have'.

Here's whats in my Library...
-Reef Secrets by Alf Jacob Nilsen and Svein A. Fosså (the one I do have)
-Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium by James Fatherree (best book on clams yet)

-The Reef Aquarium Vols.1-3 by Delbeek & Sprung (1 is great for beginner, 3 is great for an 'advanced cookbook', 2 is not really needed, but what the heck)

-Corals Of The World (3 Volume Set) by J. E. N. Veron (best Coral ID books ever)

-The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium, Vols. 1-4 (there are more than 4, but only 4 in english... great series. You want to know how to keep a tank like the guys in Germany do... read this).

-Baensch Marine Atlas Vols. 1-7 (1-3 are english, 4+ arent yet, but the information is provided in a manner that minimal translation from German is easy. To me, these are the ultimate fish and coral ID books).

Now thats a library!

I have most every book you mentioned and then some. I just wanted to give beginners some guidance.

bookshelf.JPG
This picture is an old one of my personal library. I have added about a dozen new books since then.

The higher number Baensch Atlases are great if you know German. Mine is so-so though... I can read it okay, but all the technical stuff can be a bit much. For this reason, I hope Nilsen and Fossa come out with English versions of the rest of their books.

I can see your list was meant for beginners for the most part, not knocking it. I was just kinda like 'dang, I dont have any of those'. My beginners books were the Baensch Atlases. I would suggest them to beginners and advanced reefers combined.

Steven - why not also mention the (IMHO) excellent

The Reef Aquarium Vols.1-3 by Delbeek & Sprung ??

They cover such a wide range of topics - especially volume 3, and are very thorough.

Because, getting people to buy one book is hard enough, let alone a 3 volume set. I agree they are excellent and I own them along with many other fine books. But, I had to make some hard choices and generally steered away from any multiple volume sets and towards stand alone works.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11564810#post11564810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr31415
Steven - why not also mention the (IMHO) excellent

The Reef Aquarium Vols.1-3 by Delbeek & Sprung ??

They cover such a wide range of topics - especially volume 3, and are very thorough.

Yeah, I mentioned those as well. I honestly wouldnt suggest 2 that much, and 1, well... not so important as well. If I had to suggest one (and sometimes do), I would suggest a person get #3 and forget the rest.

Perhaps next month should be a follow-up article:

"The advanced Library"... Im sure there are a few more that I could use that I havent even heard about or something.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11575277#post11575277 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hahnmeister
Perhaps next month should be a follow-up article:

"The advanced Library"... Im sure there are a few more that I could use that I havent even heard about or something.
That is a pretty good idea, although Noga's book would be better suited for that list.

The Reef Aquarium Volume 3 Delbeek/Sprung is the quintessential marine hobbiest book! I would have included that as well. Good job on picking out a handful of well written references. And better job about pontificating the point that people really should research from reliable sources before they believe the guy with 600000000000 posts.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11660708#post11660708 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SERVO
And better job about pontificating the point that people really should research from reliable sources before they believe the guy with 600000000000 posts.
:lol:

Back