Artificial Reef Coral

goldmullet

I just got an 8 foot long salt water tank. I want a fish only tank but with fake coral inserts. Do you guys know some good realistic artificial coral?

Yup that looks all fake to me, I would think it would be pretty hard. If you think about all the stuff in our tanks that is in the water column it has to go somewhere. Real coral would have the ability to remove any thing that falls from the water column on to them. The fake coral will not, so if at the bare min, let say you never have a HA problem or any other kind of hard to deal with algae, can you imagine trying to scrap coraline algae off those? If you don't keep up on it, it would build up fast. I would think you could soak these, but then I would personally be worried about fading of the color off the fake coral. Personally depending on what fish your planning on keeping, you might be able to get away with using real coral, and just choose something like softies and zoas that are pretty cheap (just incase they get ate) and wont need nearly the light or attention as LPS or SPS.

hth

d

all fake. It looks good for the photo but to keep it looking like that can be very difficult. All the cleaning can fade them as well.

I have about 27 artificial corals in my tank. The tank is only 3 mo. old with alot of algae. I just cleaned the corals the other day and it only took about 15 minutes to clean all of them. The algae doesnt really stick to the corals so it comes off pretty easy. I bought mine at dlmanwarren.

The artificial corals at places like Dr. FosterSmith and Marine Depot look really cheap in my opinion. The corals from dlmanwarren are used in vegas (mirage) and look very realistic.

dzFish17 Do you have pictures of your tank with the artificial corals? I would love to see what yours looks like?

I used to think some of the artificial corals looked good-until I had a reef tank. If you have experience with a reef tank, at least you would know where to place what artificial corals so that they are at least in logical positions and reasonable proportions. If you don't have reefing experience, try to find someone who does to help you. If you don't care about that, just get the ones that you think are pretty.

dzFish17 Do you have pictures of your tank with the artificial corals? I would love to see what yours looks like?

I havent taken any pics yet because of all the diatom blooms. I'll try and get some soon. My plan was to start a build thread in the DIY forum to show the entire project from beginning to end.

Back