Artificial rock?

Elo500

What Are the options for synthetic reef rock and how do they compare to the real thing ? Are there many vendors? I've only seen brs reef saver rock.

Last edited:
I'm reading that many of these artificial rocks are like dense cement blocks. I want to be environmentally sensitive but not sure the compromise is worthwhile. Is there a real reef rock that Has a minimal impact on the environment?

I'm reading that many of these artificial rocks are like dense cement blocks. I want to be environmentally sensitive but not sure the compromise is worthwhile. Is there a real reef rock that Has a minimal impact on the environment?

Have you looked into the Walt Smith 2.1 rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater?

I am using the RealReef Rock and it's very nice. Definitely not as dense as Reef Saver rock from BRS which I also used int he past. I would recommend it for sure.

Ok I looked at both 2.1 and real reef. They look nice but now I have sticker shock. I was expecting prices close to brs. Thanks.

I use caribsea liferock, I like it better. It's cheaper and carry no unwanted pest, no cleaning or curing. I'm sure this is the future and alot of people will stop using real live rock. LFS tryand rip people off with their prices of the artificial rock, if you look online you can get it for as low as $3/lb

Nah.
Sure there may be no unwanted pests and it may not need cleaning or curing, but your missing out on all the exotic goodies from the ocean too.
Sometimes unwanted pests may even be something you never knew you actually wanted, like it was with me and my first Mantis Shrimp.

Nah.
Sure there may be no unwanted pests and it may not need cleaning or curing, but your missing out on all the exotic goodies from the ocean too.
Sometimes unwanted pests may even be something you never knew you actually wanted, like it was with me and my first Mantis Shrimp.

Love the bubble algae, and the leaching phosphates. Unless you are willing to pay a premium to get through a source that cleans and completely cures their rock. It would have cost me almost $2500 for my 210 fowlr instead of $600 in liferock. I'll never use lr again.

Well my point kind of still stands, seeing as completely cleaned and cured rock removes most of those interesting hitchhikers and organisms in the first place.

I guess different strokes for different folks. But personally I could never ever imagine using anything but live rock.

On my wifes tank I used 60lbs of liverock from KP Aquatics $330 including overnight shipping. In a week I was able to add frags from my other tank.

It's really hard to tell the difference, especially in a reef when things start growing over everything. First pic a pile of old live and fake, my fowlr and my reef in 100% liferock.

Attachments

• IMG_20160524_150204.jpg
    IMG_20160524_150204.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20160515_204833.jpg
    IMG_20160515_204833.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 3
Live rock cost around here is just too costly, 7-8/pound + shipping and most is just artificial rock they have left in saltwater for an extended time and not real live rock.

We used combo of dry and live. Half of the dry was BRS reef saver. It was pretty heavy but easy to stack to make a real nice arch. I would consider using all reef saver in future as it is eco friendly and so much cheaper than live. We were also able to drill it and insert rods to stabilize. Just started to cycle though ... If cycle takes too long I might reconsider...

My buddy uses them in the same tank with his rocks to fill out his tank since it's a new tank. You can't tell the difference unless you really try. Didn't even know until he told me about them. I think it depends on the type of you get.

Back