ATO container

Nniemeyer

I am going out of town for 4 days and only have a 5 gallon container for ATO. I want to get a bigger container and have found someone that has 15 gallon containers that used to store pickled garlic cloves. Will this be ok to use, if there is some residue left inside? Any help is appreciated!

+1, I also only have a 5g reservoir for my ATO on my 90g. But when I go away on a trip, I set up a 32g Brute and just drop my pump in there. It's good for 3-4 weeks easy.

You can get a 10+ gallon "ATO Reservoir" from Amazon or BRS. I purchased a 27 gallon reservoir off of Amazon but the shipping takes approximately 3 weeks (I'm assuming because the seller makes it then tests it when you order it). The 7.5-12 gallon ones had Amazon Prime available IIRC. They actually physically look nice and take up a lot less space compared to having a gigantic Brute trash-can alongside your tank. Personally, having a 5 gallon for my ATO would drive me nuts, I'd rather only need to refill it every 4+ weeks. :)

I answered this in your cross post.

If you have a bunch of 5 gallon buckets, you can daisy chain them using siphon to increase your capacity. Just start a siphon from one bucket to the next. When the ato pump pulls water from the first bucket, the siphon action will pull water from the next bucket and so on until the water level of all buckets are the same (equilibrium). No need to go out and get a bigger container if you already have a bunch of containers available.

I want something more permanent, but am limited to a 14" wide area between the stand's edge and the wall. The container is food grade and I am soaking it with bleach and water. Do you think the container will leech?

I want a larger container, also, because I am having to fill up the 5 gallon every other day, and hate to wheel the Brute in, but also get tired of lugging one gallon jugs to fill it up; trying to make life a little easier.

We use a 55 gallon tank for our ATO. We only top of the ATO about once a month. Of course this is on a 300 gallon system.;)

Does your ATO dump into your sump or your tank?

Need to make sure that that line that empties the water into your tank is higher than the highest part of the water level in your ATO, or it will siphon to that point.

Back