ATO noise

faze07hd

So i have this auto top off.

http://www.autotopoff.com/

I bought it used and everytime its in use, it makes a 1 or 2 second buzzing sound. Is this normal? and if not, how can i fix that?

Its kind of loud and more annoying than anything.

It's probably the relay buzzing. Check the black box box with the power cord and the white cords from the floats going into it.
The relay on mine stuck and pumped 30 gallons of water through my kalk reactor, causing a major die off due to pH of 9.75.

i have the same unit. does yours make the clicking sound or the buzzing. if it is buzzing what i did to fix that was to move the unit to a lower flow at the surface spot on my tank. the clicking is the relay turning on and off. i cant stand that either. i am almost tempted to bypass the relay and go straight from the extension cord to the switch.

i was reading something on those also a while back, do you have it near any of your equipment b/c they say that the magnetic field can mess with it also.

its very close to all of it. It is no more than a foot away from my skimmer and sedra pump, mag7 for chiller, and probably 2 feet from 2 magnetic ballasts.

i have no wheres else to put it though...

Really? magnetic feilds can mess with the relays?

should be ok then b/c what i read was it should be over 4" away from ph's and any other equip like that. do you have the sensor in the slosh guard container if so you might wanna chack that if there is algea growing in there it will sometimes stick the sensor.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14784315#post14784315 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by faze07hd
how can i tell if its going bad or not? it works fine... just makes the loud noise.

If it's the relay buzzing. Sounds like something's up with it.

If you're handy with a meter and solder. I'd contact them and see if you can find out the voltage reading at the coil of the relay. If that is present then I'd replace the relay. If it's not then you'd more than likely need a schematic and start chasing power backwards.

Back