ATO..will this work?

smellslikeTUNA

I am looking into setting up an ATO on my system, but I am a little confused at how these things work. I have a reefkeeper and was wondering if all I need to do is set up a digital aquatics float switch in my sump and run a line from my reservoir (5g bucket) to the sump with some type of pump for the bucket? If I am understanding this correctly this is all I need? Does anybody know if a tom aquatics aqua-lifter dosing pump will be OK for this set up? The pump needs to be connected to my reefkeeper so that it can tell it to shut off when the float is closed, correct?
Thanks

You've got the right idea. I'm not familiar with the DA products, but make sure you get a double float switch for the sump (the 2nd switch acts as a backup). The Tom Aquatics Aqua-Lifter (with the suction pre-filter) is what I use with my Apex, and it works great.

You've got the right idea. I'm not familiar with the DA products, but make sure you get a double float switch for the sump (the 2nd switch acts as a backup). The Tom Aquatics Aqua-Lifter (with the suction pre-filter) is what I use with my Apex, and it works great.

Thanks, I'm about to press 'complete order' :)
Does the pump just use standard air hose tubing?

Yes, it does. I got my tubing from Home Depot, I think. It's more "kink" resistant than standard air hose tubing.

Make sure you have the SL-1 module as well, otherwise you wont be able to plug the float switch in to the reefkeeper. It also comes with a nifty Ph probe and a temp probe.

Simply set the plug on the power strip that controls the pump in your top off reservoir to "switch",then "SWA" then program it to be "on" when "closed" and "off" when "open". If you set the failsafe about 2" higher than the primary switch it should work well. Also may want to make sure to put something plastic around it to keep snails/stuff out of it, an ATO accident can be pretty nasty.

Make sure you have the SL-1 module as well, otherwise you wont be able to plug the float switch in to the reefkeeper. It also comes with a nifty Ph probe and a temp probe.

Simply set the plug on the power strip that controls the pump in your top off reservoir to "switch",then "SWA" then program it to be "on" when "closed" and "off" when "open". If you set the failsafe about 2" higher than the primary switch it should work well. Also may want to make sure to put something plastic around it to keep snails/stuff out of it, an ATO accident can be pretty nasty.

I do have the SLI and all the goodies :)
Thx for the set up info, will def be coming back to look at this when it arrives!

Back