Ato

Tuni324

Looking to get an ato for 40 gal reef tank. Any recommendations. All I look at have such mixed reviews

Hi Tuni324. Welcome to Reef Central. I'm interested in an ATO for my new 20 gallon. Hopefully we'll get some good recommendations.

The Osmolators have a long track record so that's what people normally recommend. There's s many newer ones now made by Autoaqua, Kamoer, Reef Breeders, Ice cap, XP Aqua, Innovative Marine, Hydor, etc., and as you've noticed mixed reviews. I really don't get why there is failure with these considering I've been using a DIY reed switch, relay, 9v battery, and a aquaclear 201 pump for nearly 20 years straight without a problem. My only guess is this fascination with using optical sensors but that is just a guess. Let us know what you decide on. :)

The Osmolators have a long track record so that's what people normally recommend. There's s many newer ones now made by Autoaqua, Kamoer, Reef Breeders, Ice cap, XP Aqua, Innovative Marine, Hydor, etc., and as you've noticed mixed reviews. I really don't get why there is failure with these considering I've been using a DIY reed switch, relay, 9v battery, and a aquaclear 201 pump for nearly 20 years straight without a problem. My only guess is this fascination with using optical sensors but that is just a guess. Let us know what you decide on. :)
Do you have pictures and more details on your diy ATO?

@born2lovefish

Yes, it's a relay, a float switch, a 9v battery, and a normal AC receptacle. Maybe $15 total and still going strong. This is the exact relay I'm using. It's hard to get a clear picture of what's going on inside, so I'll describe it. The 9v is wired in series with the float switch and connected to the relay input. The relay output is connected to and switches the hot side (black wire) of the receptacle. I use an old aquaclear powerhead to supply the RODI water to the sump but any cheap AC powerhead or pump will work. I used a storm proof enclosure and printed a cover to hide the internal mess. The 9v battery lasts easily 3yrs unless I run the reservoir dry and the relay stays on draining the battery. If you have any questions I'll be glad to help.

relay2.jpg

500x500_ROAK-VTFLOAT.jpg

inside.jpg

IMG_20221121_114954619.jpg

Hey thanks a lot for the detailed write up. I never thought about running a 9V relay and kept looking into 12V DPDT ice cube style relays!. I should have a 9V connector with pigtails left from an Arduino project. Thanks again.

Hey thanks a lot for the detailed write up. I never thought about running a 9V relay and kept looking into 12V DPDT ice cube style relays!. I should have a 9V connector with pigtails left from an Arduino project. Thanks again.
I've been thinking I might add another float switch (reversed so NC in the up position) in the bottom of the reservoir to the 9v circuit so it won't pump if it runs dry. Be an easy fix.

So I did some digging around and found a spare SSR (pretty sure it’s a China knock off, but for the low amp draw it should be fine). I always save parts of extension cords I don’t use, so I found a spare “set” for this project. Ordered 5 float switches on Amazon for $10, and I have some scrap acrylic for making float switch brackets. Other than the SSR is overkill, it should work fine, right?
7341B02C-A53D-402D-9089-E4B41147D00C.jpeg

So I did some digging around and found a spare SSR (pretty sure it’s a China knock off, but for the low amp draw it should be fine). I always save parts of extension cords I don’t use, so I found a spare “set” for this project. Ordered 5 float switches on Amazon for $10, and I have some scrap acrylic for making float switch brackets. Other than the SSR is overkill, it should work fine, right? View attachment 32376306
Definitely. Obviously you can test it as is by connecting the battery, that will tell you everything. You're reminding me I have bins of stuff like that I need to sort through lol.

Definitely. Obviously you can test it as is by connecting the battery, that will tell you everything. You're reminding me I have bins of stuff like that I need to sort through lol.
Yep, I tested it with a fan instead of a pump plugged in. My thought though is if the power goes out for an extended time while I’m way and the float kicks it on I might drain the 9v?

Well, winter is a great time to sort through things!

Yep, I tested it with a fan instead of a pump plugged in. My thought though is if the power goes out for an extended time while I’m way and the float kicks it on I might drain the 9v?

Well, winter is a great time to sort through things!
Eventually it would drain it but how common is that scenario? Obviously you could power it with any old transformer over 3v DC instead. Even a USB charger is 5v DC.

Eventually it would drain it but how common is that scenario? Obviously you could power it with any old transformer over 3v DC instead. Even a USB charger is 5v DC.
Yeah, I have a spare 12v power supply I might power it from down the road. You are correct, not likely to happen, but it did cross my mind. Thanks again.

Back