Attempting to breed clownfish - log

Well it looks like I may have sold my two occelaris pairs and the breeding female. I have also sold the GSM's although it kind of saddens me sell them as I would like to have given them some more chances but I just don't have the time to put into it!

I guess recovering some of my money back is not a bad thing. I will have actually made a nice profit on the pairs.

Oh well.

Once I move these fish out I am going to move the B&W's and the Picasso's too smaller tanks and crank the heat up on those two tanks and start feeding them way more food.

I am trying to feed OCP1 pair much better and hope I get a really good nest.

FB

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15004517#post15004517 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FB
Once I move these fish out I am going to move the B&W's and the Picasso's too smaller tanks and crank the heat up on those two tanks and start feeding them way more food.

FB - What behavior is promoted by increasing the heat?

--Kurt

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15009119#post15009119 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FB
Increased temps can induce spawning.

FB

Good to know, my broodstock tanks are currently un-heated sitting at around 75-77.

Thanks for the tidbit

:) - landlord

Rkelman suggested at least 82 for B&W's. My tanks are around 80.2-80.6. I want to get them up to 82-83.

OCP2 & 4 have been sold.

OCP3 Female has been sold.

GSM pair have been sold. They laid about 700 eggs the day they were purchased so the buyer got some eggs with them.

I now have my original Occelaris pair. A pair of B&W's and a Picasso pair left. I took two tanks offline and split my juvenilles up among the 3 other tanks.

I currenlty have no eggs.

FB

OCP1 batch XIII was laid down yesterday. I am expecting them to hatch the night of May 31st.

I need to ramp my rotifers back up. I have not needed them in a while so I have only been feeding them every couple of days.

FB

I started feeding my rots more again and they don't seem to be coming back. Hopefully they will have multiplied some by the time I get home tonight.

FB

Update

Update

I sold my last 36 fish to the LFS so I have no more babies. In all I sold about 250 fish for store credit and some cash. Most credit has not been used and I'm still owed a bunch of cash. Not really to worried about it.

So I have no eggs at this time and have not for several weeks. I have been so busy my feeding schedule has been spotty at best. More pellet than home made. I am planning on finishing my basement for more living space so the system is slowly being taken offline. The only fish left on the system are the B&W pair and the Picasso Pair and a lone diamond goby as it's mate took an unfortunate leap of faith. I have plans for the system to be started up again in the basement in a new area for a possible 2nd attempt.

My HRV (Heat Recovery Ventaltor) finally got installed and made a 10000000% difference in the air quality in my house. Even if you don't need it for your fish I would HIGHLY recommend one to those living in the northern climate. Any scents in the house disappear very quickly from cooking or showers, it turly is an amazing peice of equipment.

I have not been on these boards much lately so the best of luck to all of you who are attempting breeding. If you wish to contact me best to do so by PM although I do check in once and a while.

Thanks to all

FB

Thanks for all that you've contributed. I have enjoyed reading about your experiences and learned a lot from you.

Hear's to seeing your progress when you've got the basement finished and the second round of breeding starts. (you've got to SOMETHING with all that store credit, right? :))

Enjoy your summer.

--Ed

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15267604#post15267604 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rkelman
Bummer FB. You must have alot more time on your hands now though :)

Two kids are a lot more work than I ever imagined. The youngest is now starting to go to bed between 8 and 9 so I'm starting to have more free time. Which is ussually spent cleaning up after two kids and going to bed early to catch up on 9 months of sleep deprevation.

FB

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15268076#post15268076 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rEd86
Thanks for all that you've contributed. I have enjoyed reading about your experiences and learned a lot from you.

Hear's to seeing your progress when you've got the basement finished and the second round of breeding starts. (you've got to SOMETHING with all that store credit, right? :))

Enjoy your summer.

--Ed

Thanks

I am still battleing Cyano in my display tank so I have not spent any store credit on things that will just get smothered by it. Hopefully my SPS tank will benefit from a little more TLC now that I do have an extra 10-15 minutes in my life. :rolleyes:

FB

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15268945#post15268945 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lifes A Beach
Thanks for all your contributions....good luck.

--Barbara

Thanks

It does get better. When my first was born I broke down the tank. It was in the unfinished basement so I wasn't spending any time down there, plus I just didn't have much spare time at that point.

About two year ago our youngest turned three and my wife commented that we needed something in the living room since we were moving the TV into the newly finished basement. It took less than 1 month to get something set up.

The best thing is the kids actually enjoy the tanks as much as I do. They are always asking questions and even point out things I miss. My clown fish at the office had eggs for the first time on Friday and they just loved to watch the video I shot and learn the breeding process.

Catch up on your missed sleep and enjoy them at that age. In a few years they'll require less hands-on and will love helping you with your passion.

--Ed

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15272662#post15272662 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rkelman
Help? Hmm. Mine are 17 and 9 and I get no help :)
I guess help is relative! :)

I mean take up less of your time by being self-sufficient, which is a BIG help.

--Ed

Back