auto top off monitoring

teddyzaper

Hey guys! So im in the process of setting up my tank and i'm doing the ATO currently. I bought the tunze osmolator nano and an extra float valve. I'd like to have the second float switch in the ATO water container so if it gets low on water the ATO wont run dry. Is this a good idea? I read in the tunze osmolator nano manual that the pump cannot run dry, so i assume i wouldnt want to allow it to correct?

If i got this all correct, is there any ATO container that has a mounting option for a float switch and is around 10 gallons? I have seen advanced acrylics, trigger systems, and melev's reef ATO containers. If it comes to it i'll probably contact melev to get a custom made one, but i would really like to save some money on a pre-built one if possible ;)

You just need to drill a hole for a mechanical float valve..
But one problem is that its not a good idea to have a RO/DI cycle on/off quickly as initial output can be high in TDS and can take a minute or so to lower.

But one problem is that its not a good idea to have a RO/DI cycle on/off quickly as initial output can be high in TDS and can take a minute or so to lower.

I don't want it connected to my RO/DI, i dont have one. I use my LFS RO/DI water. I'm looking to have it so when the water gets low the auto top off pump wont turn on so it doesnt run dry.

how big is your ato bucket. it should take weeks for it to get low. just check your ato and fill when needed. i had a 4 gallon one on my 57 and never had a problem with running it dry. think you might be over thinking this one

yes my tds is always high up to 50 when i first turn it on then lowers to .03 going into the di part of the unit. i was wondering why. so i shouldnt keep my rodi on. turn it on when my 75 gallon ato gets low

I'm running a the JBJ Auto Top Off (Was easier to setup than programming my ReefKeeper)

The JBJ can be configured in a couple Ways:

1: Both sensors in the Sump: One as a High Level and the other as Low level (On, off)

2: One sensor in the Sump, one in the Top off water,

Best thing is. the JBJ can be programmed so the Pump will only run for a max set time. ie: the Pump will not pump longer then 2 minutes, If the pump does run longer then that, the unit goes into fail safe mode. (This prevents the pump from running dry when the ATO is empty, or flooding the floor in the case of a stuck float)

I'm running the first option (2 floats in the Sump) and the fail safe on the JBJ set to One Minute 30 seconds. (So even if the floats get triggered when the Sump is full the pump running for a one minute 30 seconds wont overflow water onto the floor)

I have a 3rd float (actually a pressure sensor) in my ATO Container connected to my Reefkeeper. I have this setup as a simple alarm that FLASHES the display unit when triggered. This way I can easily tell when the I need to fill up the top off water.

how big is your ato bucket. it should take weeks for it to get low. just check your ato and fill when needed. i had a 4 gallon one on my 57 and never had a problem with running it dry. think you might be over thinking this one

I don't currently have one, nor is the tank filled yet. Either way i need an oddly sized ATO container, and i'd like it to be acrylic, so custom is probably the way i'd need to go. My tank is 55g and i'd like 10g of ATO water.

I'm running a the JBJ Auto Top Off (Was easier to setup than programming my ReefKeeper)

The JBJ can be configured in a couple Ways:

1: Both sensors in the Sump: One as a High Level and the other as Low level (On, off)

2: One sensor in the Sump, one in the Top off water,

Best thing is. the JBJ can be programmed so the Pump will only run for a max set time. ie: the Pump will not pump longer then 2 minutes, If the pump does run longer then that, the unit goes into fail safe mode. (This prevents the pump from running dry when the ATO is empty, or flooding the floor in the case of a stuck float)

I'm running the first option (2 floats in the Sump) and the fail safe on the JBJ set to One Minute 30 seconds. (So even if the floats get triggered when the Sump is full the pump running for a one minute 30 seconds wont overflow water onto the floor)

I have a 3rd float (actually a pressure sensor) in my ATO Container connected to my Reefkeeper. I have this setup as a simple alarm that FLASHES the display unit when triggered. This way I can easily tell when the I need to fill up the top off water.

That 3rd float switch is exactly what i'm trying to do. How did you mount yours? I already have the tunze osmolator nano, so only 1 float switch for me on that.

That 3rd float switch is exactly what i'm trying to do. How did you mount yours? I already have the tunze osmolator nano, so only 1 float switch for me on that.

DIY

Took apart a small glass cleaner (For the magnet) and glued on the Grips that normally hold on a heater. Then just stuck it in my Water container

Now mines a pressure sensor. But no reason you can't do the same with a Float.

Ceramic Magnets (the ones used in power heads, and magnetic algae scrappers do not rust (unlike Neodymium Magnets... the strong shinny ones)
That magnet has been in the RODI Top Off container for years now, and no rust what so ever.

Crazy Glue Gel (Same stuff we use to glue our corals to plugs, and rocks, Glued the Plastic to the Magnets and has held for years now

Bonus is I can adjust the height easily (Just slide the outside magnet) or take it out to clean it (Never had too but still)

Last edited:
reading the instructions on the tunze nano unit shows it already has a 2 minute max run time and then it stops itself (well only turns pump on for 10 seconds).
This is all you need.. no need for another float in the ato container..

straight from the manual
The maximum dosing time is also exceeded when
the storage tank is empty, and the pulses of the
metering pump indicate that the tank needs to be
refilled.

The "pulse" mode is built in by them to prevent continuous "dry" operation of the system.. Problem solved..

If you provide needed dimensions of this ATO container besides 10G then we may be able to offer a suggestion for that question.

reading the instructions on the tunze nano unit shows it already has a 2 minute max run time and then it stops itself (well only turns pump on for 10 seconds).
This is all you need.. no need for another float in the ato container..

straight from the manual

The "pulse" mode is built in by them to prevent continuous "dry" operation of the system.. Problem solved..

If you provide needed dimensions of this ATO container besides 10G then we may be able to offer a suggestion for that question.
Do I not need one so it won't run setup if I do not fill the ATO container? It's not to stop an overflow of water, it's to save the pump from running dry.

I've decided on a 10g tank from Petco with a lid for now, fits my cabinet very snuggly. Not the best looking solution, but I'll hardly ever see it.

I fully understand what you want.. And if you want to go forward then great..
BUT
The tunze system already has all the protection tunze thinks their system/pump needs..
Its totally fine to let it "pulse" you just don't want to let it run for an extended period of time without water as it will overheat.. The "pulse" is a design feature giving you a "buzzer" to let you know that the ATO container needs to be filled..

I fully understand what you want.. And if you want to go forward then great..
BUT
The tunze system already has all the protection tunze thinks their system/pump needs..
Its totally fine to let it "pulse" you just don't want to let it run for an extended period of time without water as it will overheat.. The "pulse" is a design feature giving you a "buzzer" to let you know that the ATO container needs to be filled..

Ah ok, well i have a backup float switch just in case now :) Thanks for clearing that up for me!

All good advice in this thread, just a thought on this comment though.

You can't assume everyone's conditions are the same.

You may have 4 gallons last weeks, my container is a 5 gallon bucket and it's empty every other day. I live in a dry, and now cold, climate. With the heater in my house running all the time, I'm evaporating like crazy. Milder months, my ATO res will last 3 days.

I rum my ATO off of my Reefkeeper. I also put a float switch in the res to alarm and beep if it goes empty because several times I had to leave town for a couple days and the lady would just call and say that "there's a noise coming from under the tank" and it was the pump vibrating dry. Burned up a Tom's Aqualifter that way. You can only train them so much! :crazy1:

Wow 5 gallons a day How big is your tank. You evaporate 5 gallons of water in a day. My current system is over 600 gallons and I do about 2.5 a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow 5 gallons a day How big is your tank. You evaporate 5 gallons of water in a day. My current system is over 600 gallons and I do about 2.5 a day.

Thats very little for a tank that size IMO.. Most of it "covered" in some form or another to prevent evaporation?
My 120G tank would do about that a day in the winter..

My 40B now does maybe 1G+ a day in the winter

No my tank isn't covered. Maybe because it's 30 40 degrees right now and I run my tank at 75. Maybe in summer it will do more I only had the tank a month

No my tank isn't covered. Maybe because it's 30 40 degrees right now and I run my tank at 75. Maybe in summer it will do more I only had the tank a month

The humidity level is less in the winter = more evap

Maybe you already have a humidifier in your AC system or something..

The humidity level is less in the winter = more evap

Maybe you already have a humidifier in your AC system or something..

Well do have half of it down stairs in the basement. It's only 350 square foot space and I run a dehumidifier at 50. So maybe because the room is so humid I don't evaporate much. Didn't realize you evaporate more in the winter. Learn something everyday thanks

It's actually about 3ish per day, it isn't completely empty when I fill it.

125 gallon, open top.

Relative humidity here in the Rockies is often <30%, even lower in a house with forced air heat. If I leave the sump cabinet open it will use the entire 5 gallons in a day.

I haul a lot of Ro/DI up the stairs!

Back