automatic daily water changes

cbl

any ideas on how to best set up a automatic daily water change system thru the sump???? would this be beneficial... and if able to do this would you still need DI top off h2o to maintain salinity or would the daily changes off set that?????

There was a thread called the Lazy Reefkeeper on here a while back

He had a setup that may interest you.

You would either have to maintain top off, except while doing the water change, or, you would have to add more new water at a lower salinity. Otherwise you will effectively be topping off with salt water, which will lead to raised salinity.

You would also have to ensure that the system won't run if the salt water reserve is low. Unless you have a system set up to automatically make salt water and ensure that the salinity is correct before the auto water change runs.

I had an idea about this not too long ago. Here is what I came up with:

1. My system already is on an auto TOP OFF system. It is connected to a timer that only allows the peristaltic pump to pump at night. I also run the top off water through a Kalk reactor, hence i only want it running at night.

2. my idea for the auto water changer would be to have a seperate level switch, 2 identical pumps, a fresh SW reservoir, a timer, and a drain or waste reservoir. (and a few other parts like a couple of relays, etc.

It would work like this:

A. At a preset time (shortly after the Auto Top Off system completed, the timer would turn the system on. The first small pump (located in the sump) would begin to pump water out.

B. This water being pumped out, causes the water level to drop and turns on the level switch.

C. The level switch is connected to the second pump located in the fresh SW reservoir. This pump begins pumping water into the system.

D. Because the pumps are the same, the addition and removal of salt water is approximately the same, so the water level would not drop too significantly durring the process.

E. The amount of time that the timer stays on would determine how much water is replaced. Simply decide how much water you want to exchange, and then use the gph rating on the pump multiplied by the time (your variable) to get your desired amount.

You could also use a litermeter III, which can control three pumps at once: one for waste water, one for fresh SW, and one for top off kalk.

Automatic water changes can be performed through the litermeter in the same way mentioned in the previous post.

Back