Back after a 10 year break - 25G Waterbox Peninsula build.

dskibs

Hey all -

Hopping back into reef keeping after a decade off (previously ran a 220G mixed reef). Snagging a Waterbox 25G Peninsula, which is a company and product line I have never used! Stoked if anyone has used this tank, if they recommend a hang-on skimmer, and if there's anything I should be on the lookout for? Thinking I'll start off with the following equipment -

Light - AI Prime16 HD
Waves - Nero 3
Heater - something 100W and simple
Skimmer - If I snag one, looking at the Comline 9001 unless there are strong opinions elsewhere!

I have always wanted to start a tank with a Tampa Bay Saltwater "The Package", so I think that's happening as well. Want to really slowly build this tank up into a mixed-reef.

Stoked to be back after a LONG time off, and happy to take any advice.

Welcome back! I can’t say I’ve heard anything bad about Waterbox. One recommendation is a temp controller just in case of heater failure but otherwise looks like a good list

I don’t have any advice on a HO skimmer but will definitely follow your build.

Welcome back! I can’t say I’ve heard anything bad about Waterbox. One recommendation is a temp controller just in case of heater failure but otherwise looks like a good list
Yeah, thinking when I go to a controller I may just go all-in and find something that does a bit more than just temp. Not sure who makes the best controllers/testers these days but seems to be more options than before!

Each controller has its own perks. I personally use an APEX but that’s the only controller I’ve ever had and is generally pretty user friendly.

Hydros seems to be the next most popular. I honestly can’t say I’ve heard much bad about it @n2585722 runs Hydros if I’m not mistaken.

There’s also ReefPi. This one, from what I understand is more for the DIY’er and I’m not aware of anyone on here running it, I could be wrong though.

A lot of people will run redundancy controls with heaters. Some have them hooked to a temp controller that’s also hooked to an aquarium controller. It’s definitely optional though, but most experiences are heaters fail in the on position

I'm running an Apex as well. But, I'm cheap, and was able to find a used unit for a very reasonable price. I have the Apex Jr, (2) EB8s, PM1, and LSM.

I've also heard very good things about the Hydros.

I'll also echo Shane's thoughts on the ReefPi. I too believe those are more for DIY'ers.

Hydros I think are what I remember spending a lot of time messing around with in the past. Will check out! What's the good word these days for bio media? Not sure I wanna use the bio balls the Waterbox comes with.

Hey man I have a 15G Waterbox. You can check out my specs over on this thread. 15G Nano Reef Help

I run a Hygger Nano Skimmer and tbh it would be perfect for your set up too. It is a great little skimmer. Requires a bit of tuning, and a break in period to develop some slime coat on it, but its been sucking out some gross crap which I know means its working. It was very cheap too.

I had some questions though on my thread too so if you know them feel free to let me know.

Here is the link to the skimmer I run. It has a nice little mounting bracket to clip on to the glass in the middle section of your Waterbox. I run no other media in the middle chamber besides the skimmer.

Updates! Decided to skip the skimmer and go heavy on bio filtration - Here’s evolution from set up to TBS Package 1, then 2, then a One Month photo from this weekend. Extremely impressed with TBS. Currently stocked a Midas, red-tail fairy wrasse, yasha, and Randall’s gobies.

Attachments

• IMG_7188.jpeg
    IMG_7188.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7190.jpeg
    IMG_7190.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7166.jpeg
    IMG_7166.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7359.jpeg
    IMG_7359.jpeg