Back after almost 10 years. Need some help

Tom2334

Hi everyone. I have been in the hobby most of my adult life but moved about 10years ago and have not been able to set up a new system since. My last tank was a large 300gallon reef. I really wanted to go that way again but I just recently had a friend of mine give me his 75 Gallon set up. It has a built in overflow with an Eshopps sump and Eshopps Cone S 200 Protein skimmer. I have the submersible pump also for the sump.

Since I have been out of the hobby for so long I want to know if the items above are good for a basic system for fish and some inverts? What lighting is best to go with these days? What else should I be looking into for equipment for this system? I want it to be done right the first time and not have to spend money twice to fix a bad purchase or something I missed along the way.

Basically I want to build it the right way for the benefit and health of the fish and inverts that go into the aquarium.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I would say LED lighting and controllable pumps have been a couple of the larger game changers. I would highly recommend both!

Leds are huge for controllability, I just went back to T5 after 4 years of leds And my SPS is doing much better. Pumps are great, gyre started to get huge for the old wave makers.

I'd also take a hard look at a controller. Depending on budget and needs, take a look at the reef keeper on the low end and the GHL Profilux and Apex on the high end. Both have their fans, but I personally prefer the GHL. If this is going to be a FOWLR there isn't a huge need for powerful lighting, but if you want to future proof it, led is a great option. A number of people are running hybrid options for various reasons. Personally, I'll be running a Giesemann Spectra MH/T5 modified with LEDs. Total overkill for FOWLR, but if you know you'll get the upgrade itch, it doesn't hurt to look

Water circulation has changed a lot. Most people no longer use closed loop systems, so look at powerheads from Ecotech (also makes a great led light if you want to control most things from one UI), Maxspect Gyre, Tunze and a number of others. Same goes for the return, likely what you've got is fine, but if you want control, there are pumps to allow you to fine tune the flow.

The next big piece will be dosing and there are a ton of options for auto dosers or you can do it manually. Since you're just getting back in, if you have time, Bulk Reef Supply has a 52 weeks of reefing series on YT. Lots of great information and tons of other videos as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info guys. I plan on starting the basic set up this weekend to make sure the existing equipment I received with the tank it functioning correctly and there are no leaks. Once I get the tank running I will start to look into a new light fixture and the control systems you mentioned.

After the initial test set up I will also be looking for some live rock for the system as I do not have any at this time. Can anyone direct me to the best place to pick some up. Reasonable price and good quality?

Last question for now at least, what do most of you do about gravel for the base? Do people still use a med/deep base? I see some tanks with zero gravel at the bottom? what are the pro's and cons to this?

Thank you again

Tom

Reefwise in Lisle is a great place to visit. They don't carry basics like sand, but coral selection is top notch. Some great selection on fish an inverts too. My go to place.

Back