Back at it, wow stuff has changed

Mjfountain

Quick question, how do you know if you've got acrylic tank or glass, guy i bought from says its acrylic. But looks like glass they way its made, meaning its siliconed corners and black frame bottom and top. ?

Attachments

• 20151227_193223.jpg
    20151227_193223.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0
Touch it. One feels like glass, one feels like plastic.

From my own experience, glass tanks tend to look slightly blue at the seems, where acrylic tanks are totally clear.

Heavy [edited--sk8r] i just bought an bowfront either 155 or 180 off CL and its way lighter. One in question is 3/8 thick. As far as feeling it , it feels like glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thank you guys just didnt want to be cleaning it wrong, me hates scratches .
Ok next up is what do you all like as far as stand height? The bowfront i got has a 43inch high stand. Pros and cons?

How tall are you? Will you do most of your tank viewing sitting or standing?
I'd guess your tank is 18" tall. So you want to be able to easily reach the bottom with just a step stool.
The 30" stand for my 125 is great, since it's by my easy chair. The center of the tank is just about eye level.
That same 30" height was much too short for the 350.
Number one, it looks disproportional.
Number two, the tank is too large to take it all in from one position, so I am mostly walking back and forth and around it. I am tall so I wanted to view the tank without stooping down.
That one ended up with a 40" stand.

Glass!

Imo I like glass over acrylic. Glass is harder to scratch and I think harder to break all my acrylic tanks I've owned have cracked and leaked but maybe that's just me

Glass!

Imo I like glass over acrylic. Glass is harder to scratch and I think harder to break all my acrylic tanks I've owned have cracked and leaked but maybe that's just me

I like acrylic too but went with glass this time even though the only tanks I know of (including mine) that survived the 94 Northridge quake were acrylic. :D

Ugh, killing fish left and right:-( 150 was doing fine, old lady *****ing about hair algae. So took rocks out and scrubbed in tank water, and blam 5 inch regal got the ick..
So in the course of a couple days setting up QT. I lost purple tang, blue throat trigger, some angel,
Put regal and yellow tang and sailfin in QT that tested out fine.....yellow dead this morning. Now sailfin.
Done rushing, soon to be done at this rate

Back