Back at it

KTXReefer

I guess it is the same old story here. I was in deep from 95 to 05 when I had to shut it all down. I had a few tanks 3 75-gallon reef tanks and a 150 reef. So, I was given a 150-reef tank that I am setting up now just have the tank and stand. So, the question I have is with all the changes in the industry what system would you run if you could start from scratch? Algae scrubber, Refugium, heavy duty skimmer, and what else is there that I missed? Thanks

Welcome to RC!

I keep it fairly standard. Just a sump and skimmer. I had a fuge but my Cheato died out and now it just has some rock in it.

There’s also the fleece filter rollers in addition to what mentioned along with reactors for everything (GFO, Carbon, Bio-media, and of course the old school calcium reactors) and dosing pumps.

All in all I think you’ll find things have definitely changed. Some, but stable, nutrients are your friend nowadays. Very few people shoot for zeros across the board, especially in phosphate and nitrate. Also most tanks run dry rock unless you buy aquacultured live rock or the pricey Australian live rock.

Some of my best tanks have used the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid). I have focused on lighting in the past with MH and tubes but I like the new LED's and I think they have them about right now. Time to cycle now and look at all the sweet and $$$$ upgrades I can get. I plan on going with a water box 340 early next year. Just looking at the best time to buy the tank and I think that Black Friday or Cyber Monday will be the day. Looking forward to the journey. Thanks reefing102.

Welcome to Reef Central and congratulations on your return to the hobby.

Nothing wrong with the KISS method. That will be one amazing tank. I’m not sure when waterboxes go on sale but l would imagine they probably have some sale. If you haven’t already, maybe sign up for their newsletters for pop up sales?

And yes, the vast majority of lighting is LED though there are still some metal halide and T5 users. Pretty much most LED fixtures will grow coral, it just depends how integrated you want the system with any controller (if you run one) or what kind of controllability/app support

Back