Background or no background

I have a frosted back on mine, I like that it kind of looks like you're looking into the distance, the only drawback for me is that you can see cables and overflow pipes. I've hidden the lighting cables in this pic but cant think of a way to hide the overflow pipes unfortunately.

I've not seen that before. Is the glass itself frosted prior to building the tank or is it an after treatment?

I've not seen that before. Is the glass itself frosted prior to building the tank or is it an after treatment?

No it's an after treatment. It does look better than it shows in the pic, however I still have the issue of seeing overflow pipes through the glass, am going to create a couple of rock structures to hide them. My wall behind the tank is a blue/grey kind of colour which adds to the depth of field look, if you had red walls you might want to go another way!!

tank background

tank background

I used a blue reflective background. It works well with the lighting and as the coralline algea srated to grow i thought it provided a neat look.

No it's an after treatment. It does look better than it shows in the pic, however I still have the issue of seeing overflow pipes through the glass, am going to create a couple of rock structures to hide them. My wall behind the tank is a blue/grey kind of colour which adds to the depth of field look, if you had red walls you might want to go another way!!

I really like that idea. I used to have a black background on my 65, and I liked it a lot, but on my new tank I enjoy the perception of depth that no background provides. But I don't go crazy mad about seeing some equipment either. I know some can't stand that.

I can still tidy up the wires and such.

Very interesting, could you share the process?
I was on the fence over whether or not to use a painted background and I opted to do so, I'm not 100% crazy about it and this frosting technique might be just what I'm looking for. Tank is currently up and running but I do have limited access back there, I hope it is enough. Either way it would be good information to have for the next build.

Black! I pulled into a auto window tint place and asked if they had anything that would work. For $6 he sold me 5' of a black opaque tint (it is solid, no light goes thru) spray a little water on the outside of the tank and squeegee it on.. has held up great for almost 10 years and 2 moves. highly recommend it. very simple, holds up great, and its not permanent.

Back