Bacteria diversity

Subsea

Premium Member
Is bacteria diversity important in the long term health of reef aquariums?

Few would contest the importance of healthy bacteria populations in our reefs. After being involved in a skimmerless thread, I was introduced to a Article from Advanced Aquaria.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/3/aafeature

Feature Article: Bacterial Counts in Reef Aquarium Water: Baseline Values and Modulation by Carbon Dosing, Protein Skimming, and Granular Activated Carbon Filtration

By Ken S. Feldman, Allison A. Place, Sanjay Joshi, Gary White
What are the bacteria populations in the water column of reef tanks, a

Counts in Reef Aquarium Water: Baseline Values and Modulation by Carbon Dosing, Protein Skimming, and Granular Activated Carbon Filtration
Feature Article: Bacterial Counts in Reef Aquarium Water: Baseline Values and Modulation by Carbon Dosing, Protein Skimming, and Granular Activated Carbon Filtration
By Ken S. Feldman, Allison A. Place, Sanjay Joshi, Gary White
What are the bacteria populations in the water column of reef tanks, and how does that value compare with bacterial counts in authentic reef water? Does carbon dosing indeed increase water column bacteria populations (i.e., is growth carbon limited)? Does mechanical filtration (protein skimming and/or GAC filtration) actually remove bacteria from the water column, and if so, how much? Ken, Allison, Sanjay, and Gary's in-depth article puts these questions to the test.

CONTENTS
1. Introduction
1.1 The goal of our study - testing the validity of the Carbon Dosing hypothesis
1.2 Bacteria: A general introduction
Bacterial Physiology
Bacterial Surface Charge and Protein Skimming
1.3 Bacterial life processes
Bacterial Metabolism
Bacterial Growth
Bacterial Nutrients
Manipulating Bacterial Growth
The Coral Holobiont
"Probiotic" Application of Bacteria
1.4 Counting bacteria in the water column
2. Experimental Approach
2.1 General experimental
2.2 Control experiments and bacterial contamination
2.3 Data workup
3. Results and Discussion
3.1 Baseline bacteria counts
3.2 Carbon dosing (planned and inadvertent) - How does it affect water column bacteria levels?
3.3 Bacteria removal via mechanical filtration - how effective?
4. Conclusions
5. Acknowledgments
6. References
Departments of Chemistry (Ken S. Feldman, Allison A. Place) and Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering (Sanjay Joshi), The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, and Route 66 Marine, Gardena, California (Gary White)

1. Introduction
Bacteria are ubiquitous in the marine environment and they play absolutely decisive roles in every conceivable ecological niche. Numerous studies have documented the impact of bacterial action on life processes and energy transduction in natural reefs, as detailed below. However, a corresponding influx of information about bacteria biology in our captive marine aquaria has been lacking. For example, the inextricable connection between Total Organic Carbon (TOC) in the natural marine environment and one it its major consumers, bacterioplankton, constitutes the most fundamental level of the marine food web (Johannes, 1967; Ducklow, 1979; Eppley, 1980; Ducklow, 1983; Gottfried, 1983; Moriarity, 1985). Thus, bacterial grazing on this carbon-rich food source is an absolutely obligatory first step in the incorporation of this central nutrient into the food chain. In addition to a carbon source, bacteria require nitrogen and phosphorus compounds in significant quantities along with trace amounts of many other elements, perhaps the most critical of which is iron. Deficiencies of any of these macro- or micronutrients can, in principle, serve as a limiter of growth (details below).

On the other hand, much less is known about bacterial nutrient needs in the captive environment of a reef aquarium, and in fact there have not been any studies that document bacterial growth responses to any specific nutrient in a reef tank. Nevertheless, one of the more recent aquarium nutrient export methodologies is based upon the hypothesis that bacteria growth in reef aquaria is carbon limited. This methodology has been dubbed "Carbon Dosing" (Walton, 2008; Michael, 2008), and it has three basic premises:

4. Conclusions
The preliminary studies described herein document, for the first time, the modulation of water column bacteria population in reef tank water as a consequence of either (a) carbon source addition or (b) mechanical filtration (GAC, skimming). This information bears on the Carbon Dosing hypothesis for nutrient removal in marine aquaria.

Aquaria subjected to active filtration via skimming present water column bacteria populations that are approximately 1/10 of those observed on natural reefs. The consequences of this disparity on the long-term health of the tank's livestock are not known. How do reef tank organisms adapt to such a bacteria-deficient environment? Is the whole food web in an aquarium perturbed, or are there compensatory mechanisms that maintain an appropriate energy transduction through all of the trophic levels? Is "old tank syndrome" related to possible nutritional deficiencies stemming from this bacteria "gap"? Alternatively, could "old tank syndrome" be symptomatic of a gradual decrease of bacterial diversity as a consequence of selective skimmer-based removal of only bubble-susceptible bacteria? At present, it is not possible to go beyond speculation on these points - further research is needed.

On the other hand, our studies have shown that bacterial growth appears to be carbon limited in reef aquarium water. However, there is a demonstrable difference between reef tank water in an active reef tank, and reef tank water removed from the tank. In the latter case, bacteria consumers are largely absent, and so fueling bacteria growth via carbon addition translates to rapid and large increases in bacteria population. In an active reef tank, however, this population increase is not manifest, presumably because active predation keeps the overall level in check. Thus, the highly dynamic nature of bacteria populations in the water column of reef aquaria is highlighted by these studies. From a different perspective, the bacteria population in a reef tank seems to act as a buffer to help dissipate the otherwise potentially serious negative consequences of (inadvertent?) tank pollution via rapid carbon addition, at least perhaps up to a saturation point.

Finally, mechanical filtration in the form of skimming but not GAC does provide an effective means of bacteria export, at least up to a point. It appears likely that some types of bacteria are indeed "skimmable", but others are not. Thus, skimming inadvertently provides severe (?) evolutionary pressure to skew the tank's resident water column bacteria population to favor the "non-skimmable" cohort.

The bottom line with respect to the carbon dosing hypothesis is clear; the basic tenets of this theory appear to hold up to experimental scrutiny; carbon dosing does increase water column bacteria populations, and skimming does remove some bacteria with their attendant nutrient loads. Thus, the underlying science behind this approach to nutrient export appears valid.

In an effort to better understand the implications of bacteria diversity, I googled
"Bacteria Diversity and Coral Health"

http://coralhealth.spatial.hawaii.edu/health.html

Reef forming corals provide habitat for highly diverse and productive communities of organisms throughout the world’s tropical and subtropical oceans. Corals are invertebrate animals related to jellyfish and sea anemones. Inside a coral is a consortium of algae, bacteria, archaea, viruses, and fungi all living in a dynamic equilibrium with the coral that acts as a host to them (1,2). These coral-microorganism communities all work together as a functional symbiosis called the ‘coral holobiont’ (3,4). The coral holobiont is responsible for the trophic and structural foundation of coral reef ecosystems (5). It is because of the mutualistic symbiosis between corals and photosynthetic dinoflagellates, which fix large quantities of carbon dioxide, coral reefs are among the most productive ecosystems on the planet.

For my level of understanding, a functional symbiosis indicates a complex process that indicate more than indigenous and random bacteria. In the next article that I link there is a communication process between diverse bacteria in the community that provides a healthy balance in the population as needs arise. Quorum sensing within this bacteria community provides for cellular communication which controls symbiosis of bacteria and microorganisms within and on the coral. It sounds like the BORG to me.
Patrick

http://www.consiliencejournal.org/index.php/consilience/article/viewFile/363/194

first paragraph

The coral reefs are declining in vitality and quantity in all
parts of the world. Microbiomes exist symbiotically on the
individual coral polyps. With this understanding comes the
idea that microbiomes may coordinate survival through their
inhabiting microbe colonies in order to sustain the life of the
coral polyps. Of particular interest is quorum sensing, a form
of bacterial communication known to coordinate gene
expression in density-dependent bacteria. The importance of
understanding the symbiotic relationship between microbes’
use of quorum sensing and the coral it inhabits may offer
insight in how microbiological colonies promote reef health
and how external toxins alter these molecular processes.

last paragraph

These environmental threats are damaging to reef health since they
not only decrease the biodiversity of the reefs and aquatic organisms that
surround reefs by directly damaging the biodiversity, but they also interfere
with the symbiosis of the bacteria/microorganisms on the coral which
interferes with proper cellular communication, thus also negatively impacting
the reefs. They kill the diversity of bacteria, which means that there are not
the proper concentrations, density, and diversity of species to promote
proper gene expression for quorum sensing. Since they cannot use this
mechanism and give off their beneficial byproducts because they do not
facilitate mechanisms associated with quorum sensing, the reefs suffer. When
the microbial processes within coral are decimated due to environmental
threats, their use of quorum sensing seizes, thereby decreasing the overall
biodiversity within the reef. The importance of understanding the role of
bacterial cell communication in coral reef habitats may lead to ways of
understanding the role it plays in life and may lead researchers to ideas
relating to sustaining their life given the inevitable variables threatening their
survival. Temperature, pollutants, and human direct and indirect contact
create a response in the coral by decimating their bacterial cell
communication system and therefore decreasing the overall biodiversity of
the coral reefs. In order to provide solutions on how to sustain the coral
reefs through the coming climate change, one must understand their microbe
colonies and their use of quorum sensing. Once scientists and experts have
an idea about how quorum sensing and microbe colonies work with coral,
ideas such as density manipulation in microbes facilitating quorum sensing
may restore balance and overall reef health and prevent coral disease in at
risk areas.

Most of the research I found was related to declining reefs with a focus on global warming because that is where the research grants are. Feldman's group is one of the few scientific papers focused on these same bacteria communities within our captive ecosystems. In light of these articles, loss of diversity in bacteria populations has serious consequences. With certain reef keeping methods like ULNS that experience unexplained crashes, the underlying cause could easily be explained by loss of these diverse bacteria populations.
I live and learn.
Patrick

Interesting read! Backs up what I have long suspected that many overly filtered reef tanks are either lacking in bacterial populations and/or the species populations are not maintained in more naturally balanced ratios.

I have run a non-filtered small system for over 6 years and I attribute a good portion of it's success to relatively stable bacterial populations in the sand bed, live rock and water column.

Ralph.

Interesting read! Backs up what I have long suspected that many overly filtered reef tanks are either lacking in bacterial populations and/or the species populations are not maintained in more naturally balanced ratios.

I have run a non-filtered small system for over 6 years and I attribute a good portion of it's success to relatively stable bacterial populations in the sand bed, live rock and water column.

Ralph.

Have we meet before. Seems you had interesting post about denitrification bacteria in close proximally to nitrification bacteria on Nitrate Factory at Nano Reef.
Patrick

Hi guys,

I have actually been pondering this a lot recently but not specifically the quantity of bacteria in our reef tanks but the ratios at which they exist. My thought being that a reef could potentially hold only x amount of bacteria based on its conditions and that the ratio of good bacteria to bad bacteria could change over time.

A few things I would love to try long term would be to dose a starter bacteria at every water change, try a full on skimmerless system, or run a system where a skimmer is used on a schedule and not as a 24/7 piece of equipment.

Great read

Hey,
I noticed this is your first post. Welcome to RC. Do I know you from ARC?

A skimmer is a useful tool that can be brought on line at a moments notice. Natural systems require time to establish themselves. However, bacteria can multiply quickly. According to Ron Schmick, populations of nitrifying bacteria can double every 20 minutes. As long as there is food and oxygen to support metabolisms, bacteria will multiply and stack up on top of each other.
Patrick

Oh wow I have to spend some time reading this article later. A brief skim supports the methods that I have been using in my current reef. I did things based on a hunch to support a large bacterial population in an effort to have a very "mature" reef in a short time. My results have been pretty amazing I think.

I have been using microbe-lift Nite out II with each water change for the past 6 months. I also dose Microbe-lift special blend and prodibio biodiget/bioptim. Besides the bottled bacterias and carbon source, I have really pushed the fish load so these populations of bacteria need to exist? I also added a separate rubble compartment compartment for more surface area. I've never had a system that can process so much food/waste without negative effects.

Hi Patrick,

We share a common interest in a smaller reef setting elsewhere is where you may have seen me. I generally just lurk on this forum as it pretty much has answers to all of my questions and felt the need to post in this topic as it has been of interest to me lately to diversify the population of my 50g mixed reef as much as possible, bacteria included.

Yes, that was me and the reference to Sprung/Delbeek's 'The Reef Aquarium - Vol 3' :)

Subsea, on 19 Feb 2014 - 14:48, said:
Nano,
As in most things, it is to what degree is the contribution. I would be interested in further informations that qualifies more in depth what you have pointed out. As it is dynamic, I am fairly sure that the contribution of nitrogen processing by the two separate bacteria processes of nitrification and de-nitrification in close proximity of each other can not be quantified easily. If certain habitats can promote this, it would be good to know.

As a practicing reefkeeper, I promote nitrate processing wherever I can get it. For certain, live rock has been lifted to a very high level of importance in this hobby. IMO, it is overpriced and overrated as a biofiltration media. I do use diver collected, uncured live rock from the GOM for biodiversity.
More than ten years ago, three PhD scientist conducted a test of biofiltration efficiencies: Rob Toonen, Ron Schmick and Bob Goemans. While all methods processed nitrate effectively, I was shocked to see no room left in the tank with live rock. IMO, substrate was the winner for that reason. So little tank volume produced so much surface area. I see too many post on threads where hobiest are getting rid of old live rock and old substrate. This agrees with your point that lack of husbandry destroys the effectiveness of these media. For me, I stack the deck in my favor with janitors that reproduce in my systems: bristle worms, Drawf Cerith Snails, Micro Stars, along with the pod brothers: amphi and copo. Not only do they keep the sand bed functioning, they feed the inhabitants of the tank with their spores. For me, the micro flora and fauna at the bottom of the food chain establish the long term health of any ecosystem.

As a grandfather, one of my biggest joys is to explore my refugium with my 6 year old grandson. With lighted magnifying glasses, we lay on our stomachs and explore their world. In 44 years of reefkeeping, I have not lost my appreciation for the complexity & beauty of this marvelous hobby. In the mid 1970's, Martin Moe with a PhD in Marine Biolgy said it eloquently about the hobby, "It is not rocket science, it is more complicated".
Laissez la bonne temps roulee,
Patrick

Sprung and Delbeek's 'The Reef Aquarium' series (Vol 3) has some well written and informative information regarding denitrification that I found enlightening. Pages. 260 - 261 go into some detail on the subject:

"It has been shown that nitrification and denitrification occur in aerobic layers where they are termed coupled since the processes occur simultaneously, mediated by bacteria in close proximity. Here anoxic microsites provide habitat for anaereobic bacteria, while being surrounded by aerobic pore waters (Jenkins and Kemp, 1984). This is in contrast with the mental concept that the processes occur in separate aerobic and anaerobic zones."

Theoretically, any non-toxic substrate that contains 'micro-pores' should allow for the nitrification/denitrification process to proceed when water movement is present, but some substrates would be more suitable than others. The problem often encountered in reef tank aquaria is excessive material (detritus, bacterial films, etc.) that can drastically reduce the efficiency of the process.

The question of 'degree of contribution' is an interesting one, indeed, since denitrification can occur in a reef tank wherever anaerobic conditions exist and nitrate is present.

Interestingly, some reef tanks are now run with just corals and a suitable substrate (very little or no live rock)...and conversely, no substrate and a fair amount of live rock. While I have seen problems with the later approach, I hesitate to label one method 'superior' to the other since I don't have statistics on long term viability.

I am not a proponent of replacing live rock and live sand. 80% of my aragonate substrate is now 15 years old (9 years of those in a relatively high nitrate environment) and all my live rock is of the same age. In my tank, NO3 is undetectable with a hobbyist test kit and PO4 is typically undetectable (Salifert test kits). A small amount of algae exists in my tank as it does in all reef tanks, but it is continuously processed by herbivores (hermit crabs, crustaceans and Clownfish nibble on it, too). As you do, I also encourage what I call 'natural CUC' organisms to flourish (Bristleworms, Mysids and other crustaceans, micro-brittlestars, micro collunista snails, etc.). I am also a stickler for water changes and I vaccum/clean/baste the rocks at least on a weekly basis.

Oh wow I have to spend some time reading this article later. A brief skim supports the methods that I have been using in my current reef. I did things based on a hunch to support a large bacterial population in an effort to have a very "mature" reef in a short time. My results have been pretty amazing I think.

I have been using microbe-lift Nite out II with each water change for the past 6 months. I also dose Microbe-lift special blend and prodibio biodiget/bioptim. Besides the bottled bacterias and carbon source, I have really pushed the fish load so these populations of bacteria need to exist? I also added a separate rubble compartment compartment for more surface area. I've never had a system that can process so much food/waste without negative effects.

Richard,

I have little knowledge of bottled bacteria.

As you have pointed out, with increased bacteria populations an adequate source of nutrients is required. Carbon is the building block for life on planet Earth, but bacteria require other nutrients to exist. You have supplied that by increasing your bioload with fish and heavy feeding. This is the balance that allows for reducing nitrate and phosphate in reef tanks and increasing bioload at the same time.
Happy trails,
Patrick

PS. IN Feldman's research on carbon dosing, it was noted that Red Sea salt mix added measurable bacteria populations to his test study tanks. This was attributed to bacteria in the dehydrated salt crystal. Red Sea uses some dehydrated salt from evaporative beds mixed in with their synthetic salt.

Hi guys,

I have actually been pondering this a lot recently but not specifically the quantity of bacteria in our reef tanks but the ratios at which they exist. My thought being that a reef could potentially hold only x amount of bacteria based on its conditions and that the ratio of good bacteria to bad bacteria could change over time.

A few things I would love to try long term would be to dose a starter bacteria at every water change, try a full on skimmerless system, or run a system where a skimmer is used on a schedule and not as a 24/7 piece of equipment.

Great read

Thank you.

In speaking with micro biologist, it would seem that bacteria population growth is almost unlimited, particularly the nitrogen fixing bacteria. Ron Schmick, pHd micro biologist claims there populations can double every 20 minutes. They are quite adaptable and will stack on top of each other and enjoy the ride. As long as they get nutrients, including carbon there populations will not likely wane.
Patrick

Richard,

Unless the bacteria populations have been skewed by skimming as Feldman suggest in his articles, I see little need to continue adding bacteria populations from a bottle. More than likely the bacteria in question are nitrogen fixing.

As an afterthought on finding a diverse population of bacteria, you might consider using Red Sea Salt mix. Deep within one of the Feldman articles under possible sources of error, the research notes that of the five synthetic salt mixes used, Red Sea Salt introduced significant bacteria populations to test tank in question. It was hypothesized that due to part of the source of their salt coming from drying beds in the Red Sea, the bacteria existed in the salt crystal.

What a marvelous world we live in.
Patrick

Great read and very interesting articles.. Curious to see where this goes, I'm a big proponent of carbon dosing and heavy feeding to keep all areas of the system happy and without bacteria this wouldn't be possible.

I'm all for learning how I can increase/sustain/diversify populations for success over the long haul because I fully believe I will live my entire life next to a reef tank.

Fwiw I also have a lot of rock still alive and well from 15 years ago and many systems in my current tank doing its job just fine..

Elegance in Simplicity

Elegance in Simplicity

While I do have tanks with DSB at 12" and Jaubert Plenumns with mud/macro refugiums, I strive for simplicity in my methods. To that end, I witnessed a utube series from the owner of IndoPacific SeaFarms in which he demonstrated a sumpless reef tank with zero water changes. The concept was to have zero impact with respect to water conservation. The corals selected were adaptable easy to care for softies. Nutrient export was simple: GAC replacement, macro algae harvesting & detrits export using a fine mesh net to stir the bottom of shallow coarse aroggonnite sand bed.

This simplistic combination makes a foundational bedrock of a lagoon biotheme that will support the most complex eco systems in the world.
Patrick

While I do have tanks with DSB at 12" and Jaubert Plenumns with mud/macro refugiums, I strive for simplicity in my methods.
Patrick

From what I have observed over three decades in this hobby is that most of the people who have been in the hobby the longest tend to run the simplest of systems. Having a deeper understanding of the natural processes allows one to have faith that the system will stabilize and flourish in it's own time assuming that the basic conditions for reef life are met.

Ralph.

After several weeks on this advanced forum, I am getting knowed up with much input from many sources. After numerous queries, I will sum up several practical methods to refresh bactera biodiversity.

1. Use live/ fresh seafood from the fish market. IMO, this will be a shot gun of healthy bacteria diversity.

2. Use Red Sea salt mix. Because some of their product is harvested from evaporation beds in the Red Sea, the salt crystal traps the bacteria within its matrix.

3. Bringing frags in from outside of your system. Particularly softies, the slim is a complex mix of bacteria and is a food for aquarium filter feeders.

4. Bring in fish from outside of your system. Not only does fish slime contain a microbial gumbo, but the guts are a hot bed of bacteria.

5. Bring in live sand & mud from outside of your system. Before reefers were scared into discontinuing it, monthly reef clubs member meetings brought a cup from their live sand beds and everyone dumped it and mixed it up. When you left, your cup was a blend of everyone input.

6. My favorite is to bring in diver collected uncured live rock from the Gulf of Mexico.

So many choices,
Patrick

Back