Banggai Cardinal

joyski58

HOW WOULD YOU DO IT: I have had a pair of banjjai cardinals for many years; they even breed now and then. However, one beats up on the other as part of their mating ritual (a little S&M, I guess). When I see it happening I begin Melafix, which helps to heal the frayed finds and white spot(s) on its lips. This last time on about day 4 of Melafix, I happened to be at the right place/right time when some or all of the fish decided to beat up on the battered banggai. I looked up and saw him floating by, upside down, not breathing. I cused all w/fins, and netted the "dead" fish. I keep a 10 gal ICU tank up and running my tank's cabinet. The temp and pH are the same as my 72 gal, so I was able to immediately put Mr. Banggai in ICU, figuring I'd be asking someone to flush him for me later, since he wasn't breathing when I moved him. A hour later, he's swimming around in ICU. He musta been in shock. His fins are now whole again and treatment done; he's eating. HOW WOULD YOU INTRODUCE HIM BACK INTO THE TANK -- during lights out, after feeding ...

Joyce Jones

P.S. This isn't the first time my ICU tank has saved a battered fish under my charge. I had a wrasse battle several years ago -- lunar was winning; green bird almost died; lunar went back to LFS. And I have a firefish that never would have made it if not for the ICU; now living fat and happy w/only 1 eye. I, too, have had to learn the hard way, as there have been times that the "new fishy" brought ichy gifts to the others. I highly recommend keeping one running.

I would feed. Turn lights out for about an hour then put him in. Then leave the lights out for the rest of the night.

As a f/u, I waited until Fri pm to take the plunge, so I could be there Sat when the lights came on. I did check at 4am and, by flashlight, I could see I still had 2 banggais. When my lights came on Sat. I could see better that I had 2 banggais, but one's fins were frayed. I chased them around w/a net for a while hoping to catch either; yeah, right. That's gonna work. [I recalled an introduction lesson of a couple of years ago; don't rush into removal. be patient and ready.] I then decided to hold off on a water change and added Melafix again. 3 days later the banggais have settled down and are co-habiting once again. I can just hear him, "Yo, Dude. It's just me. Cut that out. It's me, man." Of course, this could all change at a moment's notice ... JKJ

Back