BBC's Blue Planet - Corals Seas

MadTownMax

***erately knowledgable
Premium Member
awesome - maybe we could get togather sometime and watch it - for those with reef tanks, or are thinking about it - you need to check it out.

Sorry - I posted that in a hurry. I guess I should explain a bit more :D

I had seen some other threads discussing this program airing on the discovery channel and had to check it out - I recieved it on Monday and have been watching each part of the 8-part series as the days go by.

The Coral reef segment (on disc 3 of 4) is about an hour long and has some excellent explanations of how corals themselves function, how they build their structures, and the animals living in and around them

the DVD shows incredible growth sequences of acroporas that simply made my spine tingle to watch as you see the individual polyps appearing - in my opinion this is a must-have for any reef-keeper out there to understand what the animals in our care face day-to-day in their natural surroundings, even better to show your friends/family so they understand what's going on in the tank - and hey, for $9 (for the single DVD) on amazon.com - that's pretty good.

Yeah the whole blue planet series runs about 75 bucks. The whole series is fantastic. Its going to be a long time before anyone puts out any documentary anywhere near the caliber of this series. I didn't know of any marine biology majors in my school who did not see that series. Heck I remember when we all gathered around my friend's tv set to watch!

If you have not seen it go out and buy the dvd set...or pound on madmax's door and demand a movie night! :D

yes, its the best series on ocean life out there. it took them something like 5 years to make. working in all the major oceans of the world. i've watched it religiously the past two years. whenever i spot one on tv i drop everything and tune in. i dont have a dvd player, but its always replaying on discovery.

I just got a new couch so I'll have a bit more room in my tiny place for everyone :D

problem is, I've got girlfriend's-birthday stuff all weekend, and on Monday I'm off to Puerto Rico for one week, maybe two - so movie time at my place will be delayed for a bit until I get back.

My wife got me the series for Christmas, Santa loves the oceans. We can watch at one of the meetings if you like.

Tom

That would be fun, we could project it and make popcorn. Although if it's like other nova specials they'd probably kick us out of the library well before it's over.
Nice Midas, there, Nick ;) He's a keeper.

Back