Beginner in Aquariums

diyanaparker0

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this hobby and a highly impressionable newbie. Over the past month, I've been doing extensive research (reading and watching YouTube) on everything involved. I've decided on a saltwater setup instead of freshwater because I love the creatures and their unique behaviors in the saltwater world, and I find the water chemistry and interconnected ecosystem of a saltwater tank fascinating.

Currently, I have a RO/DI system and a 40g tank I got on sale from Petsmart. However, I'm debating whether to wait on the 40g tank. For the first year or two, I'm considering a simple, budget-friendly FOWLR setup. There's a decent chance we'll be moving states in the next two years, so I don't want to set up an elaborate reef tank and then have to deal with relocating it.

I'm thinking about starting with a 15 or 20g AIO setup with just a couple of clownfish and maybe a lawnmower blenny. I've read that smaller tanks can be more volatile, but I've also read that bigger tanks are easier to maintain in that respect. Plus, I had to convince my wife to let me do this, and we're having a hard time finding a spot for the 40g tank, so a 15 or 20g might be easier to place. I've been looking at some of Innovative Marine's tanks, and they seem promising.

Additionally, my wife has a cat that she's worried might mess with the tank, so any cat-proofing tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help, everyone!

Welcome to RC!

I’d say for a cat proofed system, perhaps look at something with a built in lid, such as the nano cube, Biocube or Fluval.

Most other AIO systems that I can think of, you would need to buy a separate lid (either prebuilt or custom) that’s typically made of mesh and far from cat resistant.

With that said, IM is a good brand, so if it’s what you really like, definitely go that route

I've never used an AIO system but I trust Shane's recommendations above.

I've known newer hobbyists who have set up smaller tanks with great success.

Just a couple things to keep in mind:
- Take your time, nothing good happens fast in this hobby.
- There is no single correct way to maintain a saltwater/reef tank. What may work great for one person may be disaster for another.
- Ask a lot of questions, we're here to help.

Back