Berghia Nudibranch

I have used both Berghia and the Mottled Filefish in my display tanks with great success.

Same here. The filefish developed a taste for coral after a while, though. He had to go. I recently bought a bunch of peppermint shrimp (6 in a 60 cube) and they killed my aptasia outbreak in my recent set up. They're down to a single shrimp now, but he's keeping any pop-up anemones in check.

My Aiptasia experience thus far:

First, I tried Aiptasia X. It worked, but the Aiptasia seem to come back ten fold.
Second, I added 10 Berghia Nudibranch to a 65g display with no known Berghia predators. After adding them to the tank, I never saw them again, and the Aiptasia remains.
Third, I added 3 Peppermint Shrimp to the display. Since adding them to the tank, I have only seen glimpses of one of them. It has been several months, and the Aiptasia still remains.
Fourth, I purchased a Filefish just this last weekend. It's healthy and happy, and on day 2. So far, the Aiptasia still remains.

* SigH *
This is exactly what I did in my 180. The Filefish took care every last one of them. He now in my 375 and haven't have Aiptasia in 5-6 years

I purchased a Filefish just this last weekend. It's healthy and happy, and on day 2. So far, the Aiptasia still remains.

Give him time. I had a REALLY, REALLY bad aiptasia outbreak about three years ago. Bought an Aiptasia Eating Filefish.
....."Freddie" started making SHORT WORK of my aiptasia after adjusting to his new home within a week. Within a month, ALL of it was wiped out!! I mean - GONE!
He's been a great fish and I've had him ever since :p

Last edited:
You will probably not notice much at first they will just eat one or two it’s when they lay eggs and the babies hatch that they will wipe out the aiptasia then you will see babies everywhere collect them and get your $ back because soon after you won’t be able to buy enough aiptasia to keep them fed. Might have a problem with shrimp and crabs eating their eggs though that I don’t know anything about.

Back