Berghia Nudibranch

bunsenburner

Premium Member
If anybody is headed down from Penny's to Portland and she still has some Berghia Nudibranch I would be happy to pay for one. I've a bit of an aptasia issue. Just trying to avoid the trip if I can

Matt, If you are successful can I borrow him when you're done? I have a large one in my reef and a couple in my QT. Only a loan mind you. Maybe we can pass him around the club. I think most must have an aip or two. Sue

If I manage to get one I'd be happy to. I may try and feed and culture some aptasia in a side tank just to keep food going. I hear they are fairly easy to raise

I think they are probably easy to raise but you know....... if you are TRYING to raise them it may be a different story. I've managed to kill to hitchhiker mantis shrimps! They are, believe it or not tricky to acclimate. Let me know if you acquire one. I'll pay rent. I was thinking..... if there's enought interest maybe we could split the cost and buy one for the club. Sue

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8734160#post8734160 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bunsenburner
If I manage to get one I'd be happy to. I may try and feed and culture some aptasia in a side tank just to keep food going. I hear they are fairly easy to raise

I use tulips in my refugium (The return has a UV on it to kill off any trying to make it to freedom) as a natural way to clean more junk from the water- has been fairly easy so far. I am assuming aiptasia would not bee too different.

I bought 4 berghia's and never saw them again. Now I'm getting aiptasia again, it was never completely gone, and I don't think they were worth the $20 a piece. Peppermints seem to work better, IMHO. I have one peppermint and his end of the tank has none. Mitz

The problem with putting berghia in a reef tank is that most of these tanks have way to much flow so the nudibranch get blown around untill they get sucked up into a filter or skimmer or powerhead where they are then toast... and most people arent willing to turn down the flow long enought for them to do their job. (So says the guys who works for Rick at New England Aquarium in biddeford that breeds them)

A copperband butterfly did the trick for me, plus it eats other stuff and will not die off when the aptasia is gone

Keeping nutrients and food for them in check will help as well

Theoretically, moving the nudibranchs around sounds great, but in reality, I think it may be almost impossible... I understand they go into the rockwork, making it almost impossbible to remove them, unless you know wich rock they are in and remove the whole rock...

denise

Well, I tried the peppermint, but even though I am resticting his diet he isn't touching them. My buddy offered to loan me his copperband, but since it is only a 30 gallon I wouldn't really want to cram him in a small space. I've had great luck using a homemade chemical method to melt aptasia, but always though the nudi's were fascinating. Perhaps I'll rotate rocks in a small isolation box to avoid having it get sucked up. The tank is quite simple since I tried to set up the lowest energy consuming setup I could think of. It has no external filtration just a single power head and live rock, so not too many hazzards.

Icy wrote:
The problem with putting berghia in a reef tank is that most of these tanks have way to much flow so the nudibranch get blown around untill they get sucked up into a filter or skimmer or powerhead where they are then toast... and most people arent willing to turn down the flow long enought for them to do their job. (So says the guys who works for Rick at New England Aquarium in biddeford that breeds them)

That's who I got them from. There may still be some in the tank however, I don't think they bred and they still can't get all of the aiptasia. If it's on the returns or in the sump it will still spread and they can't get to it. Lesson learned. Back to peppermints. M

From the Garf website:

This month I am going to start a series of articles on pest and algae control in reef aquarium farm tanks. You can rid your tank of these pests by this method

Prepare stock solution

1. 1 tsp. pickling lime - food grade calcium hydroxide
2. 2 tbls. tap water.

boil water and lime in microwave for 40 sec.
keep closed plastic container in cool place.
You will need a vet syringe from a pet store that sells vaccinations

This mixture comes out of the needle very thick. You do not need to inject the Aiptasia.
Just release a small amount on to the aiptasia and it will take it in. This mixture seems to stick to the
anemone, but it does not stick to the other inverts. We also use this mixture on problem hair algae.

We have killed 20 or 30 at a time in 55 gallon reefs and it did not hurt anything

I got my lime from Walmart. Works good and doesn't seem to bother anything else in my tank.

Tim

I've done the same thing with kalkwasser and it works, I just thought like Matt that the nudibranchs would be interesting. Will just get out my old kalk and go to town. Sue

What section of walmart did you find the lime in?

It was in the small appliance section where they have canning supplies. The brand name is Ball pickling lime . Its the same chemical make up as kalk but tons cheaper.

Tim

Last edited:
I make up a real strong colution of Calcium Hydroxide. The stuff will burn you though. A quick stick of Aptasia with a needle and about 1/10 of a mL gets them every time. I am careful to treat too many at a time since it will raise the pH of the tank. Fortunately salt water is a great buffer.

Back