Best in-tank nutrient export

ogbeka

I run a sump-less, fuge-less system (55g) and have been having some hair algae, although my nitrates are keeping a low profile. I've read that keepong macro in the display is not a good option since they tend to take over. However I have some halimeda growing on my LR. The question is, should I grow the halimeda as a nutrient export or can I add another type of macro in the tank without it taking over??? How about growing xenia in the tank as nutrient export, how effective is it???

ogbeka,

Halmedia is a good nutrient export but along with nitrogen and some phoshates, it will also export quite a bit of calcium. Xenia can be fast growing enough to serve as nutrient export but this only works for some people. You may want to get a colony of xenia and see how it grows for you. Caulerpa can become a pest but it is one of the fastest growing, best nutrient removing algae. Chaetomorpha is another algae that could be useful for you but due to the way it grows (unattached clumps) it might not work well in a sumpless tank. If it comes down to it you want want to get grape caulerpa (c. racemosa) going and after the hair algae starts to die-off from lack of nutrients start pruning the caulerpa back. Do you test your water? Are your nitrates and/or phosphates high? Do you use purified water (like RO/DI or RO) to mix your saltwater / topoff?

Kevin

Thanks for the reply kevin.

I do test my water and my nitrates are almost 0 (can't get an accurate reading between 0 and 5 mg/l). I don't measure for phosphates though, they must be high since my first fillup was with tap water, will be switching to ro water for topoff. I guess the biggest problem I have is availability, i can get my hands on some feather caulerpa but that's about it, no more macros nearby. The halimeda came attached to my Lr, otherwise I wouldn't have it either. I can get a xenia frag in me LFS and would be getting it anyway since its a good looking coral. I guess I'll start asking around for macro.

BTW, I have a caribbean blue tang in my tank so I don't now if I'd have to trim a caulerpa or if it would even survive the onslaught.

Back