Best light option for a Red Sea 250?

Onewolf

We are going to set up our first saltwater aquarium after having several freshwater (90/40 gal) aquariums for several years. We are 95% sure we will be buying a used Red Sea Max C 250 combo because it seems like a good size/cost compromise for a first saltwater tank.

The Red Sea 250 comes with the T5 light canopy but we definitely will be going with LED lights so we will be removing the canopy and adding LED lights. We plan to have mostly LPS corals and eventually _some_ SPS. This is the list of candidate lights we are considering (and the price for 2 of them):

Ecotech Radion xR15w - $840
AI Hydra 26 - $732
Red Sea ReefLED 90 - $700
AI Prime HD - $420
Mars Aqua 165 - $220

We noticed that the Radions are VERY popular with the retail saltwater stores around here, but if the less expensive options will work great then that's money we can use in other areas for the tank.

Which lights would y'all choose and why?

Thanks.

Why don't you want the T5s? How many bulbs? I would keep that.

Six 39 watt T5 in an enclosed canopy which requires multiple (loud) cooling fans to keep from heating up the tank (Or adding a chiller).

Prior owner removed canopy and was using Radion LEDs because of the heat/noise with the T5 bulbs.

I have seen analysis that shows LED lights pay for themselves in just a few years because of the additional electricity and cost of replacement bulbs. Of course the analysis was done by LED maker but they would not have an agenda. :spin1:

I run the aquatic life t5 hybrid fixture w/ kessil's on one of my tanks and its amazing and requires no fans, the growth in that tank surpasses all of my LED only tanks. With that said if you are dead set against T5, i personally would go with Kessil's a360, i am a kessil fanboy but only because i had had really good growth with them and they are very easy to setup.

Six 39 watt T5 in an enclosed canopy which requires multiple (loud) cooling fans to keep from heating up the tank (Or adding a chiller).

Prior owner removed canopy and was using Radion LEDs because of the heat/noise with the T5 bulbs.

I have seen analysis that shows LED lights pay for themselves in just a few years because of the additional electricity and cost of replacement bulbs. Of course the analysis was done by LED maker but they would not have an agenda. :spin1:

I know you have your mind made up, and between those options, the radion is the best Choice. The Orphek atlantik is better though.

But what I am most curious about....have you ever actually used t5's before? It doesn't sound like you have any experience with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know you have your mind made up, and between those options, the radion is the best Choice. The Orphek atlantik is better though.

But what I am most curious about....have you ever actually used t5's before? It doesn't sound like you have any experience with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't have any experience with T5s.

We decided to "take a different path" and not get the Red Sea 250. Instead we are getting a WaterBox 40AIO which has a much higher WAF. We will be getting a single Radion xR15w for the 40AIO.

Thanks for all the replies.

Back