Best place to buy salt?

I try to support what few LFS we have here in Delaware first before buying on-line. IO and RC go on sale it seems every week or two anyway so since starting up my new systems, I've gotten all of my salt locally.

All depends on how much you use. Most of us don't mix salt 50+ gallons at a time too frequently.

hah, you're probably right! Our tank is new so we've been doing 20% water changes (~20 gallons) weekly, plus tank transfer for a wrasse in QT, so we've been going through a fair bit of NSW. Either way, the leftovers from a 15lb bag are pretty easy to store in a small container -- just thought people should know that it's not one giant bag in the 60lb box. But the buckets are cooler and are useful for so many things, for sure!!!

For anyone that uses alot of salt sign up for dr. Fosters auto ship. If you have a case sent every month the 10th one is free. Find a friend to split it

The fish place by me sells the 200 gallon mix for $35. I met this guy last year on Craigslist. He sells fish from his house. He sells the 200 gallon box for $30.

hmmm, very interesting thread. I use red Sea Coral Pro. Everything in the tank just starting sprouting greatly when I changed over from something else I was using...can't remember the name of it, but The new salt really made a difference. Don't have to do as many changes as it has really good concentrate of minerals that are needed. But it is pretty expensive. $65.00 for a 5gl bucket almost anywhere you look. My LFS sales it for $60. I'll be checking out that instant ocean soon.

I order it online. Last time was Amazon but I use Drs Foster and Smith most of the time. Delivered right to my door no loading it in and out of my car. Easy.

Back