Best Store in Bay Area/SF?

WillM

Hello,

I'll be in SF Friday - Sunday. Will probably have some time on Sunday to do a little shopping for coral. I'd like to find a shop that's open on Sundays and is able to ship coral.

What's your favorite shops if you could only hit 1-2?

Thanks,

Will

Found these in a post from 2015:

Diablo Corals - East/North Bay
Aquatic Collection - East Bay
Cal Reef - East/South Bay
Neptunes - South Bay

Are they still any good? I'm googling hours and whether they are open or not.

Thanks! I won't have a rental, and from reading the other posts I was able to find it seems like SF RE costs have priced out most LFS.

Found these in a post from 2015:

Diablo Corals - East/North Bay
Aquatic Collection - East Bay
Cal Reef - East/South Bay
Neptunes - South Bay

Are they still any good? I'm googling hours and whether they are open or not.

Yep, that's still the group and you can't go wrong with any of those 4!

Unfortunately, without a rental it's going to be hard to travel to the stores listed because they're not close to public transit.

If I weren't busy on Sunday, I'd offer to pick you up in the East Bay (taking BART from SF is very easy) and then travel down south going from Aquatic Collection -> CA Reef -> Neptune. Diablo Corals is simply too far out of the way to suggest heading there, especially since they don't offer anything unique compared to the other stores on the list. If another reefer who lives in SJ can pick you up at the Fremont station, you could do the reverse drive, then be dropped off at the Hayward BART station for your return to SF.

The only reason I bring it up is because a couple of years ago, a reefer who lives on the east coast was attending a conference in SF and was interested in seeing my tanks. We knew each other only from our conversations on RC, and it was really nice to meet him in person. He jumped on BART, I picked him up in Oakland, and we hung out at my house for an hour or so, then I dropped him back off at BART.

Unfortunately, without a rental it's going to be hard to travel to the stores listed because they're not close to public transit.

If I weren't busy on Sunday, I'd offer to pick you up in the East Bay (taking BART from SF is very easy) and then travel down south going from Aquatic Collection -> CA Reef -> Neptune. Diablo Corals is simply too far out of the way to suggest heading there, especially since they don't offer anything unique compared to the other stores on the list. If another reefer who lives in SJ can pick you up at the Fremont station, you could do the reverse drive, then be dropped off at the Hayward BART station for your return to SF.

The only reason I bring it up is because a couple of years ago, a reefer who lives on the east coast was attending a conference in SF and was interested in seeing my tanks. We knew each other only from our conversations on RC, and it was really nice to meet him in person. He jumped on BART, I picked him up in Oakland, and we hung out at my house for an hour or so, then I dropped him back off at BART.

That would be awesome - too bad you have plans. A really close friend lives out there, and I'm coming to see him get married on Saturday. Flying in on Friday, decorating the venue, helping out Saturday and then the wedding. Sunday will be the only down time I have really, then I fly home Sunday evening.

Next time I'll have to rent a car and schedule a little longer of a stay :) I just hate going to a larger city and missing out on the potential for that new monti I can't live without... hahaha....

why not just rent a car for Sunday only then drop it off at the SFO on your way home. carrying multiple bags of coral and fish in a styrofoam on a crowed BART isn't fun.

why not just rent a car for Sunday only then drop it off at the SFO on your way home. carrying multiple bags of coral and fish in a styrofoam on a crowed BART isn't fun.

I may do that, but I wouldn't chance getting through TSA with corals again. I did it once coming back from Tropicorium, but it was years ago. I was hoping any shops I visit would have shipping. Plus, I don't know if I can sell my wife on renting a car if she finds out it was for spending more money on corals, haha.

I may do that, but I wouldn't chance getting through TSA with corals again. I did it once coming back from Tropicorium, but it was years ago. I was hoping any shops I visit would have shipping. Plus, I don't know if I can sell my wife on renting a car if she finds out it was for spending more money on corals, haha.

Aquatic collection would be more than happy to ship your corals for you. I have purchase from Karson before snd he shipped them to a friend in Sacramento.

What's up, man? Didn't realize you were in the Bay Area! Thanks for the tip, I'll give them a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, sadly as "great" of a city that SF has, it really can not afford to have any kick*ss aquarium stores. Price is such a premium that every square inch is precious, and turn over of goods needs to happen at a rapid rate such that quality they pay for might not be quality you are looking for.

Ocean Treasures used to be a beautiful little "boutique" of a store, but I don't think their sales could keep up with the cost, and I believe they actually owned the building (plus the complete lack of any sort of parking most of the time didn't help matters)

Back