Best way to remove aiptasia anemones

Hi!! I just had several of the darn anemones popping up all over the place AFTER using joe's juice....so crumbletop is right!! I just put 4 new peppermint shrimps in and FINALLY I am starting to see them slowly going away. This has worked in the past for me as well. good luck!

funny that different things seem to work for different folks! We have tried the hot water squirt with limited success--and they always came back. Our peppermint shrimp never eat them--not that we can tell! Joe's juice is the only thing that has worked for us. If it has done damage, it is not apparent. And we don't have to use it very often because we don't have very many popping up. We do have 2 very large ones on the back of one rock that are so inaccessible, we can't shoot them very well. Other than that, Joe's Juice has been the ticket for us. There is one other product we ordered that DOES NOT work--called "Stop Aipstaisa" from the Pet Solutions catalog.

I'd say a 2 part system. With hot water they will kill the big ones, some people have had trouble with the big one melting and then having more small ones because of it. So I'd say hot water, and depending on tank size, maybe a couple of peppermint shrimp for the small ones.

When I first set my tank up and all my LR was good to go, I had a couple dozen of the small ones, I put in a peppermint shrimp and in one night they were all gone.

aiptasia

aiptasia

I just got a tank and found a few aiptasia on the rock. I don't have any livestock at the moment. Is there a method I could treat the whole tank (220) to nip it in the bud now? Would eliminating light for a week do it?

Weapons, this is a very old dead thread. LIKE 10 years old.

the only way eradicate them 100% is to nuke the tank. other than that, you will just have to control them. methods of control are :

1. chemical. hit them with aptasia x when you can see them. can kill the one you see, wont kill those you dont. other chemicals can do this.
2. Electrocute them - majano wand kills with electricity and a reaction that causes the cells in the anemonee to fill with hydrigen and burst. you have to kill everythign or they will return. Again, you will only kill what you can get to.
3. Biological. Get something that eats them. Peppermint shrimp are known to. Aptasia eating file fish are known to. Berghia nudibranch are known to. Copperband butterfly is known to. Still, they wont eat them all. they keep coming back. I had a Copperband for 3 years. he ate all in the tank, but since i had some in the overflows and plumbing, the spores were still around. I moved tanks and consolidated into a smaller tank. I then sold my Cbb after months. a few months later, I noticed the anemones came back!.

once in a tank, unless you catch them so very early on, they are next to impossible to eradicate.

Back