Big blue hole, Belize

The blue hole itself is boring. It's a 20-30min total dive time. Go to 130-140ft and then back up. I really enjoyed the 2 dives that followed it Half Moon Caye Wall and The Aquarium.

The blue hole itself is boring. It's a 20-30min total dive time. Go to 130-140ft and then back up. I really enjoyed the 2 dives that followed it Half Moon Caye Wall and The Aquarium.

Ditto.

We did not book to dive there. When we showed up for our daily dives, the dive shop owner told us that some of the other divers had booked to go there (there is an extra charge for it), so we were "forced" to go but at no additional charge. We "suffered" through it...Yawn.....but the above mentioned sites that we did afterwards were really nice.

I thought it was ok. Interesting to see the structure down around 130-140' and we did see a few sharks about 90-100' but it's not a dive to see the critters that most of us like to see. If I go back to Belize I will do the dive again just for the opportunity to dive Half Moon and Aquarium .....that is unless I cough up enough to stay out near the Atolls and avoid Ambergris Caye altogether.

I thought it was ok. Interesting to see the structure down around 130-140' and we did see a few sharks about 90-100' but it's not a dive to see the critters that most of us like to see. If I go back to Belize I will do the dive again just for the opportunity to dive Half Moon and Aquarium .....that is unless I cough up enough to stay out near the Atolls and avoid Ambergris Caye altogether.

www.itzalodge.com

Anything wrong with ambergris caye in particular? Hoping to go later this year.

I went to Ambergris caye with my girlfriend March last year. Honestly around San Pedro it is pretty dumpy and dirty. We stayed there over Caye Caulker because we thought it would be difficult to book excursions on such a small island. We ended up taking a few day trips on the ferry to Caye Caulker and we really regretted our decision. It was so much calmer and nicer, I would recommend you look into booking a stay on Caye Caulker over Ambergris Caye.

If you end up going to Caye Caulker check out the the lazy Lizard, best bar on the island.

Private island...nobody on the beach trying to sell you beads...

Private island...nobody on the beach trying to sell you beads...

www.itzalodge.com

and 10 min. from the blue hole...
and dive off the beach......for lobster and conch dinner...

Back