Black Clowns Cloudy/Pop Eye

snake42490

I got 3 black clowns, yes I only plan on keeping two once they pair up. They are all very small right now. This is now day 13 of having them, upon receiving them on day 1 one of the clowns had a cloudy pop eye. I figured it was either damaged or maybe I was dealing with flukes. I started treating with Prazipro and did the TTM at the same time. Basically this eye stayed about the same, nothing got better or worse. The clowns were not eating during this time. I then decided to do a freshwater dip between transfers and see if I noticed anything fall off... Nothing really appeared in the water. So day 4 they are now in new water. The next 4 days I did a series of Formalin baths at a very high concentration. Each bath was an hour each. On day 8 the clowns started eating food and spitting it back out. They were consuming maybe 1 piece of brine shrimp... The following day I got them to eat a bunch of NLS pellets, but the feeding of these guys is very timid. Not how I am used to clowns eating.

Jump ahead today, Both eyes in the one clown are popped out and one of the other clowns is starting to have its eye cloud over. I have been treating with Furan 2 since day 10. Also, all of the fish have long white stringy poop.

To me I am thinking I am dealing with some kind of internal parasite.. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. It doesn't seem like the prazipro is kicking whatever this is though.. The Furan 2 doesn't seem to be getting these eyes any better as well.. Let me know what you guys would do here. These are captive bread clowns.

If Prazi isn't having any effect, I would try this instead. It contains both metronidazole and praziquantel, and is supposedly useful for treating internal parasites that Prazi by itself doesn't eradicate.

Disclaimer: I've never used this specific med myself; but I have used metronidazole as a standalone before. And while it did do the job, it wasn't the easiest on the fish. They didn't eat the entire time I was using it.

Alright, I got that stuff and dosed it this afternoon. Sadly one of the clowns died over night, it looked like the eye popped and it just died. The other one I think is too far gone to make a recovery and the other one is showing no symptoms. I did a double dose of the medicine. The tank flaked with hundreds of white specs, there are about 6 of these rougly have inch clear/ transparent worm looking things on the bottom that are moving... I hope this other guy makes it.

I will keep you posted if I have any more questions.. This sucks that prazipro isn't doing the job.

Update- Humblefish, I owe you!! Thanks.. You solved multiple problems.

So, those white specs were actually the medicine not disolving.. I figured that out after the second dosing of them haha. I am thinking my the root of my problem were these transparent looking worm like things. After 24 hours of being in medicine the one clown fish looking night and day difference. His eyes are already clearing up and the poop is no longer stringy. I know the medicine says to only do two rounds 48 hours apart, but I think I might do one extra round. I want to knock this out for sure. I did double the dosage for the first two doses. The fish handled it well and are eating. The one clown has still shown no signs.

If I posted this a day earlier this would have saved the other clown for sure...

The other thing you fixed though is my sailfin that I was having issues with. I'm not sure if the difference was the metro or if the difference was the powder prazi, but he has stopped showing all fluke symptoms.

I am keeping General cure on hand from now on.

Glad to hear this! The problem is Flukes and intestinal worms share some of the same symptoms (i.e. stringy white poop). And while Prazi is great for flukes, it does nothing for intestinal worms. You have to use something with metro in it for that. In times past, I've had a few fish have adverse reactions to metro... which is why I'm hesitant to recommend using it. But maybe I need to give this API General Cure a closer look.

What are some of the issues you have had with metro just so I can know what to expect? I used general cure at double dose and fish haven't lost appetite once.. So I take it API probably was being safe with their dosage amounts.

What metro do you usually use when you treat? By what company?

What are some of the issues you have had with metro just so I can know what to expect? I used general cure at double dose and fish haven't lost appetite once.. So I take it API probably was being safe with their dosage amounts.

What metro do you usually use when you treat? By what company?

It's been many years, but I remember appetite suppression being common. I once remember a French Angel dying almost immediately after using it. I dosed straight metronidazole (from a pharmacy), and I dosed at 25mg per gal (same as API General Cure). I just remember the fish always seeming to have a really hard time with it (heavy breathing, sometimes laying on their side). I tried several different batches because for awhile I thought I had just gotten a bad batch or something. Be careful using the stuff; just don't use it for too long. It can cause liver and kidney damage in fish.

Back