black ocellaris clownfish question

nathan1986

Bought a black ocellaris from faois a few months ago. I was curious if his orange face will turn black as he matures?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think I've read that their faces will stay orange. I have a small one that's probably 3 months old. His color is really coming in now but his face is still orange. I just moved him into a bare bottom 20L with my regular ocellarris. They've been doing the dance so hoping for some babies one day.

It just depends. Some have faces that never darken all the way. Others turn jet black over time. The black ocellaris I got from FAOIS turned an incredible deep black.

It just depends. Some have faces that never darken all the way. Others turn jet black over time. The black ocellaris I got from FAOIS turned an incredible deep black.
Mine is from faois as well. Hopefully the face on mine turns all black. I really like how they look when they don't have the orange faces

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think a lot depends on where they came from. The blacks from ORA tend to keep some orange while those from Sustainable Aquatics are more likely to be full black. My guess would be that SA has broodstock that is closer to the original wild caught Darwin fish (that aren't collected anymore)

IMG_0012-1_zpsjteu36ze.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is Roger's. Loving life in his clam!!!

Thx for posting pic. Got the clowns out of the display so they don't host the clam anymore. Thx sonic for catching them for me :)

Back