Black silicone turning yellow - 300G Marineland tank

mike660r

Yesterday I spent the afternoon cleaning my tank. I noticed along the bottom front panel that the black silicone appears to be turning yellow. The tank has been setup since November of 2008. The silicone has been covered with sand since I set the tank up. I am a little concerned with what this could mean. Has anyone else seen black silicone change color?

Thats not it. I can see the yellow from the outside of the tank. Black silicone should be black thoughout.

This picture isn't the best but it's something.

IMG_1542.jpg

I thought Marineland used clear silicone along the bottom of their tanks and black on the sides. Maybe it is just dirty clear silicone.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15424189#post15424189 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TRITON1
I thought Marineland used clear silicone along the bottom of their tanks and black on the sides. Maybe it is just dirty clear silicone.

I think Triton has it... My 225g Leemar with "black silicone" was black silicone all around... except for the bottom! Clear silicone is supposed to be stronger, and tanks will typically not be warrantied without clear silicone on the bottom. I think thats your problem... Clear silicone on the bottom.

Mine bottom seam is black as well. No way dirty clear silicone could ever be mistaken for it, its jet black.

Mike, I think your best bet would be to contact Marineland and see what they say. I checked mine thoroughly and can't find any areas (yet). However most of the bottom bead is covered by the trim.

I custom ordered a 180g Starfire front glass from Marineland. I had them put black silicone throughout, but they used clear on the bottom and top rim for structural reasons. They only used black around the sides. Are you sure you remember it being black on the bottom pane for sure?

I'm 99% sure it was black. The picture I posted is of the front panel on the bottom of the right side of the tank. You can make out that the silicone is black going toward the right corner. The silicone is also black for 5 feet to the left of the area that turned yellow.

The Marineland Deep Dimension tanks come with black silicone all the way around. The only clear I have on mine is at the top where the braces are tied to the trim.

The bottom is 100% black. I will be keeping an eye on it though. Let us know what Marineland says!

I'm kinda curoius about this black silicone being weaker than clear thing....If thats the case I want a tank that lasts. My current 90 is the old 1/2" glass and has lasted forever...

What is the basis of the black being weaker than the clear? I think it's racial profiling. The black is newer and more sleek looking so all the guys with clear are jealous and talking junk about it being all weak and stuff, lol.

But seriously, I've yet to hear a reason why the black is no good. I have a 150g deep dimension tank, had it setup almost a year, and I've never noticed any yellowing or flaws.

Is it possible to put a decorative layer of black over the clear? I tried it once on a sump and it came out pretty good, except I put to much on.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15454746#post15454746 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tewkes
What is the basis of the black being weaker than the clear? I think it's racial profiling. The black is newer and more sleek looking so all the guys with clear are jealous and talking junk about it being all weak and stuff, lol.

But seriously, I've yet to hear a reason why the black is no good. I have a 150g deep dimension tank, had it setup almost a year, and I've never noticed any yellowing or flaws.

Is it possible to put a decorative layer of black over the clear? I tried it once on a sump and it came out pretty good, except I put to much on.

Im honestly not sure if its a legitimate claim, or why it is, if so. But I know on my 225g Leemar, "black silicone" was the option that won me over. When I went to pick it up, I starting complaining up a storm because the silicone was clear on the bottom. After long talks, I was informed that Lee Mar would not warranty a tank unless the bottom was siliconed in with clear silicone. I was not informed why, though. Also, when I was getting quotes, I talked to charlie at the fish tank factory, and he said black silicone was not recommended on a larger tank, since its not as strong.

Still no reply from Marineland. I doubt anyone is going to be willing to answer for this oddity. The silicone around the bottom was completely black at one time. I went back through and looked at some previous pictures I have from October 24th 2008. I don't know what else to say folks.

Back