Blasto Wellsi question

CeeGee

I bought a small colony of Blastomussa Wellsi last year and it had about 4 polyps on the rock it now has around 15 (big and small) and has completely filled the rock that it is on. I am wondering will it keep growing or will I need to attach it to a larger piece of rock to keep seeing growth?

For the record I am seeing completely the opposite (as usual) that most people see. My wellsi seem to be doing really well while my merletti is just kinda hanging in there.

I guess I am the only person who has wellsi. Maybe I can frag these guys and make some of cash cause they seem to be so rare.

Seriously does no one know how these guys grow once they entirely cover the rock they are attached to?

place another piece of live rock close by. They should jump over to the new rock. I try to find flat pieces. You can also frag the colony in half and glue a piece of live rock on the frsh cut and it will spread that way also.

Thank you for the info.

Everyone speaks of how these guys take a long time to grow and mine have been multiplying like mad.

congrats on the good success! Got any pics?? I have just started getting some LPS so it is good to hear some good feedback/experience. I just got a 3 polyp frag of welsi and got a 9 polyp frag of a merleti - I hope they will do well and spread. I am spot feeding 2-3 times a week. Do you feed yours?

You do not need to place a rock or anything by them. They create their own skeleton. They will just keep building on itself, unlike zoos and mushrooms which are soft corals and need to attach to something

I agree with Reefmonger, although if the only direction is growing out from where they were attached with glue/epoxy I hope it can support the growing weight! Hopefully it will also grow over and secure its skeleton to existing rockwork,of course depending where you put it, if it's on the sand, or a wider flat surface nothing really to worry about.

But I would love to know your regiment to success! Do you spot feed?If so, what and how frequently? What other supplements if any are you using?What salt are you using? Filtration? Carbon? Lighting, flow, placement etc? Enquiring minds want to know!;)

-Justin

Back