Bleached baby Mertensi?

ReefingIt

Obtained a baby Mertensi that is bleached. Under the blue lights, this is what it looks like. Is it a goner or does it have a chance regaining the zoox?
Btw, it took a small piece of shrimp today very readily. 62EEAF10-2E1B-4141-B8CE-46761749818C.jpg

I am in CT but the nem was obtained from a shop out of state. It was sold to me as a pink/red haddoni but looking at the foot with the spots, it’s more likely a Mertens. As long as it can recover, it doesn’t matter.

White stripes on a mertens are a sign of stress around the outer disc usually which is dude to being bleached

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White stripes on a mertens are a sign of stress around the outer disc usually which is dude to being bleached

White stripes around the outer disk are a naturally occurring color variation in S. mertensii and have nothing to do with being bleached or stressed.

12.jpg

We don't have to agree but the only ones I have seen with white stripes are stressed. I have seen at least 100 mertens and the only ones I have seen with stripes are stressed.

The one in the picture is all folded up on itself and not layed out over rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The picture that I sent in the OP was under blue lighting. Under white lighting, the anemone is completely white which indicates to me that it is bleached. My question was if this had any chance of recouping with feedings in a stable environment.

It has been taking small pieces of shrimp readily so I am thinking it may have a chance To recover over time.

The one in the picture is all folded up on itself and not layed out over rocks.

LOL are you talking about my photo? That is an anemone at low tide - it is barely even in the water. Have you even seen these anemones in the wild? Or are you basing your knowledge on anemones that you have observed only after they have come in through the distribution channel?

Regardless, I have no idea how you reached the conclusion that striped mertensii are stressed. Do you feel the same about striped haddonis?

http://www.adsira.com/images/stripedhaddoni.jpg

Note... I am not saying the OP's anemone isn't bleached or stressed. Rather it was just a comment about striping not being a sign of one or the other.

Again, let's see another pic under normal lighting....that should clear up the "very bleached" discussion.

I would like to see a normal lighting picture of the underside. It looks like it could be one of the "mini" carpets to me. If the markings under the oral disk are stripes instead of dots, you may have a mini carpet. I have had to take second looks several times to make sure "mini" carpets weren't baby mertens or haddoni.

Back