Blue Macroalgae

Rudimenta

Hi All,

I have a very fast growing blue marcoalgae now in my tank, it actually doesn't look bad at all, but its annoying to keep removing it.

I would like to know what its natural consumer is, so i hopefully can get some animal to keep it in check.

I have no other algae issues at all which makes it kinda weird anyway please see pictures.

IMG_1815-590x1024.jpg

macroblue-2.png

outofthewater-1024x768.jpg

For id purposes:
* A clear, crisp photograph
Hopefully clear enough
* A description of the texture of your algae (is it brittle? soft? fleshy? does it break easily?)
Its very soft and easy to rip off, it has a deep blue colour almost purple, its grassy like but not single strain. It gets a little more green tone out of the water, but pictures dont really make it look right
* A good reference for the size of the algae (try for something in the photograph that shows the scale)
See second picture, with small frag plug
* The location of your live rock or collection spot (Caribbean, South Pacific, Pacific, etc.)
grows on rock but mostly around the overflow water intake, at high flow areas, my rock is from Vietnam and since i had it before, its likely from a local wild coral
* A description of the growth habit of your alga (growing on rock, on/in the sand, in the water column, etc.)
Grows very fast

Tough to tell from your pics... I think I've seen this stuff before - kind of brownish tan at the bases of the "leaves" then more iridescent blue at the ends?
If so I think it's pretty common - in the wild - in tanks we don't see it too much as tangs/herbivores love it.

Tough to tell from your pics... I think I've seen this stuff before - kind of brownish tan at the bases of the "leaves" then more iridescent blue at the ends?
If so I think it's pretty common - in the wild - in tanks we don't see it too much as tangs/herbivores love it.

I have tried to take better pictures but its tough, added a video also:

https://youtu.be/HESOqtglwac

My tangs (Blue and Yellow) and angel (Fire) do not touch it.

My guess is indeed it comes from some wild coral from the Vietnamese waters.

You might try chopping some up and adding it at feeding time, to see if gets someone's attention. If you are confident you know where it came from, you could research to find herbivores in that area that eat macro algae. There's got to be a tang or rabbitfish that eats it.

Looks like Bryopsis plumosa or bryopsidales to me as much as I can see. Shut off the flow and drop some peroxide on it or better yet take your rocks out and pull the algae and then scrub those areas with peroxide

Looks like Bryopsis plumosa or bryopsidales to me as much as I can see. Shut off the flow and drop some peroxide on it or better yet take your rocks out and pull the algae and then scrub those areas with peroxide

http://www.niobioinformatics.in/seaweed/system_Bryopsis plumosa.htm this indeed is close but the color is different, i removed it from the rock (it only grows on that one piece, besides close to the overflow) and put some putty in there. ill take a look at your suggestion.

Back