Blue throat trigger issue

jrleonard

I've had a had a brutal time with issues in my fowlr tank. Any idea what this is? I woke up today with what looks like dust or spiderweb all over him.

I saw the same look on mine the other day - and when I looked again a few hours later, it was gone. Not saying not to keep an eye on him, but based on those two anecdotal experiences, it may be something like the mucous cocoon that some wrasses sleep in . . .

~Bruce

I saw the same look on mine the other day - and when I looked again a few hours later, it was gone. Not saying not to keep an eye on him, but based on those two anecdotal experiences, it may be something like the mucous cocoon that some wrasses sleep in . . .

~Bruce

I thought it was parrot fish that slept in u out cocoon?

Parrotfish do (and they're pretty closely related to wrasses), but so do fairy wrasses, flashers and possum wrasses (probably lots of others, too!).

~Bruce

Came home tonight, and my blue-jaw once again is wearing little white dots. (In water with chelated copper in it, no less.) None of the other fish in this round of QT (Bartlett's anthias, black-ray shrimp gobies and a royal gramma) are similarly attired . . .

I'll keep y'all posted. :-/

~Bruce

The dots were gone this morning, after a nearly-two-thirds water change and a raise in the copper levels "just to be sure".

This evening, there are dots _everywhere_ on the trigger, but not on the gramma, gobies or anthias in the same round of QT. Weird, 'cause if there was a fish I'd have thought would be resistant to ich, it'd be a triggerfish with its leather hide.

Raised the copper levels again . . .

~Bruce, glad he runs a QT . . .

If it is in fact ich, it is possible for new spots to appear during treatment as the parasite runs out it's life cycle.

In my experience, the fastest and most reliable way to beat ugh is tank transfer

I'm certain you're correct ... I tried TTM with one group of fish, and lost them all during what must've been a badly prepared hop. Very discouraging.

I'm back to using chelated copper in a 40B. Upped the dosage, and Mr. blue-jaw appears to be clear. Waiting game from now . . .

Having done some further reading, puffers, files and boxfish appear to be some of the more susceptible fish to Cryptocaryon. Got to assume that if those groups of plectognaths are, then triggers are as well.

~Bruce

Back