Blue Zoo "Tank Raised" Pacific Blue Tang

OhsCC

Anyone here purchase one of the "Tank Raised" Pacific Blue Tangs? Are they hardier and less prone to ich, etc. since they are used to the aquarium environment?

I understand it is not captive bred (preferred), however this is the next best thing since captive bred are near impossible to find.

Haven't tried a tank raised regal from blue zoo...

In my experience, pacific blue tangs are quite hardy. The problem is that they get way too big for most of our tanks, and they behave really strangely when in too small of a tank. They either get hyper aggressive, or they become really shy/depressed and hang out wedged into the rocks all day.

Like all tangs, they are susceptible to ich...Something about small scales and not much mucous production. I don't think that morphology would change in a captive raised, or even captive bred, specimen. Luckily though, ich is easily treated as long as you do it before it goes into your display.

I guess my advice to those looking at a pacific blue tang would be:

1. Have a large tank. A standard 180 to a standard 240 would be the range.

2. Either strict QT or prophylactic tank transfer method or both for the tang and all other incoming fishes.

They are certainly hardier when compared to a wild caught one since they have had to of been raised on things easily available to hobbiests as far as food goes. (either it eats well or it would never of made it to market, more than likely would have died) They can get ich just as easy as a wild caught one.

I have an Atlantic Blue that I got from Live Aquaria. They generally have tank raised an also some caught. Not sure what mine is.

He (she) is in a 180 aI have 2 other tangs (Kole and Purple). It was a little more than quarter size and is now about 8"s. Only aggression is a bit of mild chasing of my Spot Breast Angel.

I always to TTM. Take NO chances

Back