Bommie Reef in Seagrass Bed

combs1ng

So I wanted to pose a question to anyone with Seagrass experience. I've noticed there isn't a ton of reef setups out there with seagrasses in them. Ever since I saw a seagrass setup in an LFS years ago, I have always thought of setting one up. I am currently planning a large build and recently started a tank build thread. I am 95% settled on a biotope - an Indo-Pacific Bommie Reef surrounded by a seagrass bed. It will consist of a 412gallon peninsula style tank (or there abouts) with a vertical reef wall along the back sloping to a 3-6" sand bed(not determined yet) and a bommie reef-rock "island". For corals: predominately Pocillopora, Favia, Platygyra, Astreopora, a few Monti and Acropora a centerstage Sarcophyton or Lobophytum a few Zoas and maybe an Elegance amongst the seagrass. There will really be two focal points within the aquarium, the bommie reef island and the "Rest". I want this biotope to be a mini seagrass ecosystem revolving around the collective whole and not just the corals or fish. In actuality my plan is to have relatively few fish for this size system. Currently I have planned to house 25-30 fish (mostly small and consisting of fish from various regions such as the Indo-Pacific and Red Sea). I am thinking some striking contrasts such as: a small shoal of Yellow-tail Damsels (love their beauty) with a couple Yellow Coris wrasses; several orchid dottybacks and a neon dottyback or two; a radiant wrasse; possibly a Potters or Flame Angel, maybe a shoal of chromis and blennies/gobies; some other damsels such as Dascyllus Reticulatus; and a couple tangs: Blonde Naso, Gem and perhaps another. But I want just as much focus and interest on the few sea stars, several types of crabs (porcelain living amongst the Pocillopora), shrimp, and other invertebrates.

I am posting some inspirational pictures below to demonstrate what I am trying to achieve.

Some general questions and concerns I have: 1) I have read sea grasses are difficult to raise in the reef aquarium. The species I intend to keep are short species such as Halodule uninervis and Halophila Ovalis. Does anyone have insight on husbandry for these grasses. 2) Do these short seagrasses need to be routinely maintained in any way, ie. harvested, pruned, etc. 3) Does anyone see some immediate or overlooked issues with the projected tank setup? 4) Should i have worry with a DSB along with seagrasses, and what issues can I expect to have? I'm hoping the seagrass would mitigate the risk of nutrient build up (I also plan to have a large refugium system with chaeto and skimmer). 5) Any general advice, reference material or personal experience will be greatly appreciated.

zCoralRock_SeagrassSurrouning1.jpg zCoralRock_SeagrassSurrouning2.jpg zCoralRock_SeagrassSurrouning3.jpg zCoralRock_SeagrassSurrouning4.jpg

My advice would be to set up the reef and inhabitants first, and get that running, then add in a very little of the grass in a controllable area of substrate and see how it goes, in an area of planned limit. If it exceeds that too soon, it does warn you it might get out of control. If it dies, you at least have a viable reef, and you'll have learned things along the way. As far as nutrient uptake, a good skimmer and enough rock and sand should do that job adequately well. I do warn against multiple dottybacks---aggro to the max and an unbuild problem if you have to get them out. If the grass doesn't work you could always try some tang-friendly macro.

Great idea! Seagrasses are a better match with corals than macros, because they can tolerate low nutrient conditions better. This will allow you to set it up like any other reef tank, (low) nutrient-wise.

I don't have experience with the species you mention, but I have experience with shoal, manatee and turtle grasses. I think you can have success with your choices, with a shallow sand bed in the two inch depth range.

My thread, "Weeds" may be helpful: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2678002

Good luck!

Back