Briareum violacea (GSP) polyps closing?

sdm

Premium Member
My GSP is usually completely open and waving, with the tentacles about 1" long. It has been in my tank for quite a while now, doing just fine until 2 days ago. Around that time, me and my dad were looking at our Mandarin dragonet, and, upon deciding it wasn't looking too good, put a mesh bag of hair algae from the sump in front of a powerhead in the main tank to hopefully get some pods into the display. That's when the GSP stopped waving and started folding in on itself (sort of how it looks when it has just gotten fed). At the time, I attributed it to it either feeding, or just the temporary loss of current. Yesterday, despite the tank lights being on, it was still closed (mostly, there was about 10 polyps open). I figured that it must have been due to the loss of current afterall, and figured it was re-acclimating to the current, but today, there are only 3 open, and they look like they're closing up! Could this be from the current, or is something wrong with my GSP?

GSP are pretty hardy coral. Just a guess, but has the dragonet been lurking around the GSP and does the GSP rock have a lot of little moving copepods on it? The dragonet could be picking around the GSP causing it to retract. Other than that, let it be for a few days. It will return as they always do :)

Back