Bristle Worm ID Bad or Good in Reef

Ive got a 46 Gallon Bow front that ive had active now for about 3.5 years now. All i have to say is, I've got alot of these little puppies in my tank. I have been told that they are benificial to the tanks eco-system and if they get out of control that i can purchase some coral banded shrimp. I was told that coral banded shrimp love to feed on these things.

Everyone has them at one point or another. You just don't want them getting big and roaming in your tank. I got an arrow crab and put him in my sump to graze on any small ones in my sump, and my 6-lined wrasse takes care of my display tank.
Biologically, they can be beneficial. However, they do burrow in silicone, so they could cause some structural problems for some people.

huh??? Iv'e never heard that one?

"they do burrow in silicone"

any documentation or reference to that claim would be apreciated.

Oh, and back to the question:

they are harmless, and benificial. they will reproduce in a healthy reef tank and there # are usualy held in check by not overfeeding your tank. if they get too nomorous gradualy cut back your feeding regimine.

arrow crabs are awesome little creatures. Watching mine eat bristle worms it one of my favorite things to do. An arrow crab will eat lots of bristles, however they do not controll the population of worms in a reef. Only the worms food supply can efectivly controll the population, wich in most cases will not get out of controll.

Here's my 2 cents worth....Not everything in the ocean is beautiful. Ugly bristle worms eat ugly dead stuff in our tanks. It's a dirty job but something has got to do it!

Back