brown algae

jprisco

my 20g tank has been having problems with excessive brown algae, i have taken the tank out of the sun and this has stopped my green algae, could there be a problem with phosphates?? any recomendations???

yea, i have the light on for about 9 hours, along with an RO/DI system, ive read it can be caused by phosphates, is this possibly the case?

JOE

JOE

Hey Joe its Drew gimme a call 677-5375 i wanna c ur tank and u can come see mine if u want i might also be able to help you with this algae

I am having onging problems with one of my nano 24's. Brwon algae covering everything along with lots of reddish algae. Many water changes and using natural sea water with light on only 8-10 hours. Going to pull it down,clean rocks and start over.

is

is

is it a red slime algae almost like silk or something because that is a bacteria problem i have that right now but i am treating it with some stuff that u can probably get at the lfs.

Red algae is cyano bacteria. It can be treated with Phosban but you ned to get to the root of the problem (Overfeeding, high bioload, lack of a cleanup crew)

What clean up crew do you have?
Have you used a TDS meter to check your RO?
What size tank, what fish and how often do you feed?

I have about 7 snails along with 5 hermit crabs. My RO is only about a month old so i dont think that is a problem. The fish get fed twice a day as instructed by the food.

Back