Brown "stuff" getting worse

kyman2391

The "stuff" (i know you guys told me what it was but i cant remember) is getting worse on the rocks and its on the sand as well.

I second diatoms on that. how old is the tank? I would check your phosphates and nitrates and make sure that they are in check. If the tank is fairly new it could be the initial algae breakout that you are dealing with. How long are your lights on for?

Its a pretty natural part of a cycle, but I would say you should have your lights on for 12 hours or less, if at all. If you are just cycling with no livestock in the tank might be best to keep the lights off.

With no corals in my tank I have my lights on 10k lights from 530-11:30 and antics from 630-1230. Figure that my fish don't need that much lights I run them for that long just so when I do start adding corals that I don't get a major algae breakout.

I would just hold off and this should past in time everyone has to deal with it when starting a new tank. I wouldn't buy anything just sit tight and keep those water changes going

Hey Kyman,

I had a cyano problem, that once cleared itself up and turned into a diatom problem. It covered my sand and rock.

I basically just upped my water changes to weekly. I have a 29g, and I changed 5g per week, I added a skimmer and some phosban media in a media bag into my sump.

It took a few weeks, but the problem subsided on its own. It's a natural part of a new tank cycle. Albeit, now my diatoms have turned into hair algae! Haha!

During all that time, I just made sure to keep my filter pads and any filter floss clean as well as continuously rinse off any debris that gathered on my media bags.

Back