Bubble magus skimmers

AK707

ok who uses this brand.?
from all my research these things are the sheit but not a lot of people use them.
people who do have them love em but its few and far inbetween...

I have a BM Curve 7 and like the skimmer a lot. Keeping the skimmer in the proper depth is very important and expect the skimmer to take awhile to break in.

Agree with the above. I had the 5 while I ran my 80 gallon. I mever had an issue other tham initial setup which was not long. Pulled out some nasty stuff.

Have had a D8 & a D9.(their DC models)
I wasn't sure about whether the D9 was really doing what it should have/could have been doing & put an ATI powercone 200is behind the D9.......the ATI pretty much starved.
Both D8 + D9 needed hardly any break-in time for me.....the Ati was another story that needed quite a while to break-in.
Build quality i'd give the BM a slight edge over the ATI...just on the thickness, the ATI is slightly thinner acrylic

thanks for the replys fellas....any of you have experience with reef octopus skimmers in comparison to bubble magnus..?

the only experience I had was a very large skimmer from RO. It also pulled out a ton of gunk from the water column. You really can't go wrong with either IMO. I just chose BM because the price on the skimmer was $40 cheaper then the RO of similar size when I was looking for skimmers 5 months ago.

thanks for the replys fellas....any of you have experience with reef octopus skimmers in comparison to bubble magnus..?

I initially ran a BM Curve7 on my 125g, then switched to a RO 150SSS. FOR ME, there was no comparison between the two as the RO doubled the skimmate output over the BM, and was infinitely easier to fine tune. Again, just my experience, which could be due to many factors, the least of which is the maturing of the tank...But it'll be RO for me for the foreseeable future, love the Space Saver Skimmer. Good Luck :beer:

Reefat18mos.jpg

I initially ran a BM Curve7 on my 125g, then switched to a RO 150SSS. FOR ME, there was no comparison between the two as the RO doubled the skimmate output over the BM, and was infinitely easier to fine tune. Again, just my experience, which could be due to many factors, the least of which is the maturing of the tank...But it'll be RO for me for the foreseeable future, love the Space Saver Skimmer. Good Luck :beer:

Reefat18mos.jpg
wow really? The 6"? I have 2 of the reef octopus 150 classics right now. That skimmer that you have has the same pump, and internal design which in theory means less bubbles and less contact time due to taking up internal space, and without the hour glass figure. Brs also rated it for less of a load. If you feel that way I guess should get another classic because it has to be more efficient than the BM. I do like the more compact design though. I wish somebody would do a straight up head-to-head comparison test on these things.

Very nice tank by the way!

Yeah, IDK maybe I had a bum unit, but it seemed like I was ALWAYS fussing with the Curve to get a consistent output. Or maybe my tank wasn't mature or loaded enough to produce good skimmate :confused: I'm also dealing with pretty tight dimensions so those units are about the only "good" ones I could find that would fit in my sump...

Yeah, IDK maybe I had a bum unit, but it seemed like I was ALWAYS fussing with the Curve to get a consistent output. Or maybe my tank wasn't mature or loaded enough to produce good skimmate :confused: I'm also dealing with pretty tight dimensions so those units are about the only "good" ones I could find that would fit in my sump...

Good to know, I appreciate that input

Back