Bubble Tip Anemones, A Call For Data!

sltloser

Hello everyone!

As the title states Dr. Nanette Chadwick of Auburn University and myself are on the hunt for data pertaining to Entacmaea quadricolor (also known as the bulb-tentacle anemone). My name is Brady, and I've been active in the marine aquarium hobby for almost a decade. Throughout the years I've been a part of multiple forums, and have formed a passion for reef keeping. After graduating college I've been in contact with Dr. Chadwick, and we're hoping the community here on Reef Central and other forums will be able to help us gather data to give us a better understanding of a question. Why in the world do some bubble tip anemones have bulbous tips while others don't? What factors contribute to the formation of bulbous tips in bubble tip anemones? Have you ever wondered why some of these beautiful anemones form nice bulbous tips, but others have the stringy finger like (digitiform) formation? Well so have we!

Although there isn't much data on this topic, there is one volume in Advanced Aquarist by Charles Delbeek that delves into the possibility of light intensity playing a role in bubble formation. (This can be found here: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/aafeature2) We both believe that this could possibly be a factor in determining if an anemone will produce bulbous tips. What we're hoping is that you here on Reef Central can help us gather data on light intensity (PAR readings) to see if it plays a role in the formation of these bubble tips.

We're looking for those of you who have access to a PAR meter to take measurements next to your bubble tip anemone, weather it has bulbous tips or not, and send us the readings! If you have multiple bubble tip anemones in one tank, or multiple tanks please take separate readings for each anemone.

We also have a few other levels we would like those participating to record if possible. Check out the instructions below!

Please try and capture all of the measurements listed below, the more data we have, the better we can attempt to delve into this mystery!

1. PAR measurement. To take this reading, please place the light sensor adjacent to the outermost tentacle tips of each anemone, where they are exposed to maximal light. The idea is to place the sensor as close to the anemone tentacle tips as possible, in the region of the tentacle tips that receive maximal light. See this article for more details: (http://www.auburn.edu/academic/cosa...nemone habitats and photoacclim JMBA 2014.pdf)
2. Make/Model of PAR meter being used
3. Picture of the PAR meter as it's being used to take the measurement.
4. Presence/Absence of a clown fish in the anemone.
5. Bulbous or non-bulbous tentacles. (most important if a picture isn't attached)
6. A recent picture (within a month) of the anemone(s).
7. Light spectrum of bulb/bulbs which illuminate the aquarium, and number of hours each day that anemones are exposed to them (# hours per day the tank lights are on).
8. NO3 and PO4 measurements in the aquarium within the last 2 weeks.
9. Flow rate in the aquarium. To accurately measure flow rate a very expensive piece of lab equipment is required so we think that it will be simpler to go by a visual rating of water flow. Identify whether the water flow rate is enough to visibly cause the tentacles to move slowly/vigorously/not at all?

Please send these results in e-mail or Microsoft Word format to saltwaterholte@hotmail.com with the subject line BUBBLE TIP ANEMONE READINGS. Also feel free to tell your local reef club members, or other reefing friends you have about our call for data. We sincerely appreciate everyone who participates in gathering of data!

Call me an empiricist, but wouldn't it be better to get info by scientific method rather than " data" gathered second hand from complete strangers?

This topic has merit, for me anyways. I am in the process of maturing a tank purely for BTA's so would be interested in the responses.

Call me an empiricist, but wouldn't it be better to get info by scientific method rather than " data" gathered second hand from complete strangers?

The observations from this study could be used to develop a hypothesis that could then be tested. So, this would be the first step in the scientific method.

In addition, if this is going to be done at a university, they are going to need money to set up a lab. That means funding, which means they will likely need a grant, which means a real experiment probably won't be done.

which means a real experiment probably won't be done.

I think he's just after experiences of folks keeping them in aquaria. It's data collection. Am I not right in thinking that this forum is about personal experiences and this is what is passed on to other members for guidance?

I think he's just after experiences of folks keeping them in aquaria. It's data collection. Am I not right in thinking that this forum is about personal experiences and this is what is passed on to other members for guidance?

I'm not saying that not having a real experiment should stop people from contributing. Doing an experiment and eliminating all the variables on this would be a huge undertaking just to alleviate a curiosity. Sometimes survey data is the only practical way to go. Once there is a hypothesis, people can test it in their own tanks.

I did a similar survey in the 90's that ended up changing the way most people keep anemones.

Good questions everyone. Yes it would be much better to do a controlled experiment to get an in depth understand of what causes this phenomenon. The problem is that there is almost no science behind why this occurs so we have a fairly broad range of factors that could cause this. Going off of the one good observation we have by Charles Delbeek about lighting being a factor we're really looking for preliminary data before beginning a study on factors that cause this. I think that there is more than just lighting that plays a role in this phenomenon, so the object of this is to look at the data gathered statistically and see if we can find any correlative evidence between bulbous formation in the anemones and different stimuli within the tank. This would then allow us to conduct a more focused study in the lab based on any correlative evidence we find. Correlation doesn't establish causality, but it will allow us to develop experiments to test these correlations and see if there is any causation behind it.

So many contributors with so many tanks and so many variables.....
The hypothesis is lighting influences bulb formation.
Seems the way to best test this is to set up a, say, 50 gallon sump, and then run that to two separate tanks, one with high lighting and one with low lighting. Fill with Nems. That way, except for lighting, they all get the same exact environmental factors.
Asking for experiences, just doubt the accuracy...but!
But of course I'm in!

Why not looking at proteomics or rRNA expression differences of BTA with and without bubbles? Ideally in the same time or even better before and after they loose the bubbles. From there all you have to do is find out what regulates that protein or rRNA. That should then be a much easier way to test the different hypothesis.

whiterabbitrage- You are correct, there are many variables that can't be controlled in people's tanks. This survey is looking more for preliminary data so that we can formulate a solid experiment based on these results.

Happyschneider- That may be a good idea, but to be honest I don't know much about that field. The only problem I see is that you have to be able to get anemones that will have bulbous tips. As of right now I have no idea how to induce bulb formation which is part of the reason why this study could be helpful. If we can figure out how to induce bulb formation we could then look at something like you suggested. Without being able to reliably induce bulb formation we're at the mercy of each individual anemone.

Happyschneider- That may be a good idea, but to be honest I don't know much about that field. The only problem I see is that you have to be able to get anemones that will have bulbous tips. As of right now I have no idea how to induce bulb formation which is part of the reason why this study could be helpful. If we can figure out how to induce bulb formation we could then look at something like you suggested. Without being able to reliably induce bulb formation we're at the mercy of each individual anemone.

You obviously would need to get hold of a species that currently has bubbles. Take your sample and then either hope that it looses it's bubbles as I heard they do when changed into other tanks or see if you could find another BTA without bubbles, ideally that is as closely related to the first BTA.

Your way would also be possible but then the biochemistry would not help you anymore but explain your observations. Still, with that knowledge you could try to breed a BTA without the ability to loose the bubbles or find something that could indice the bubbles without affecting the chemistry if the host tank. Talk to your supervisor and see if they have an opportunity at their university to collaborate with a biochemistry lab. I don't know if it is even possible as I have no idea if it would be possible to isolate the proteome or rRNA from a BTA, especially as you would have at least four sets of dna (lives in symbiosis and each will have its own and mitochondria dna) that you would need to look at. Also, if the dna sequence is not available, it makes it a little bit more difficult.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that either way you choose to go you will have a successful project.

Just a little background from a guy that has been keeping BTAs for over 30 years. Although Charles Delbeek showed that in his case the bubble tips showed up under higher light levels, the opposite is also true. In the old days, when we/I kept BTAs under 4-5 normal output fluorescent bulbs, we never saw anything but bubbled tips. The BTAs in the LFSs with poor lighting always had bubble tips. It wasn't until people started using Metal Halide bulbs that we started seeing BTAs without their bubbles. Here are a few thoughts you might want to consider when collecting data.

1) If it is strictly lighting, there might be a window of intensity where the loss of bubble tips is advantageous, but below or above that window bubbles are better.

2) I also thought that possibly there was a specific spectral band that was present in normal fluorescent tubes that is missing in MH or HO T5 tubes.

3) This one just came to me recently. When we started using more intense lighting sources, the average temperature of the tanks increased several degrees. We went from needing a heater to keep temps above 75 to needing a chiller to keep them below 82. You might want to add morning and evening temperature range to your survey. At the very least, it is a variable you need to control.

when I sent my data off, I found it interesting that the BTA with no bubbles is at 58 PAR and the one with bubbles is at 153.
Anyone else contribute?

Have you ever wondered why some of these beautiful anemones form nice bulbous tips, but others have the stringy finger like (digitiform) formation? Well so have we!

You are asking the wrong question. You are assuming the existence of a reason :)

From first-hand observation in the wild let me guarantee you that you can come upon a field of E. quadricolor clones, and some will have bulbs while others not - same water, same flow, same lighting... In fact it is common to find both bulbs and non-bulbs on a single individual at the same time.

If I had to GUESS I would say that it is INFLUENCED by lighting... since I have only seen bulbs on E. quad. in bright light, while E. quad. in dimly lit tanks TEND to not exhibit bulbs.

But as I said above, it is not an absolute rule...

BonaiNut- You are correct, some tentacles on the same anemone will exhibit bulbous formation while others will not. I however disagree that there isn't a reason behind it ;), there should be some evolutionary advantage in having bulbous tips!

harrhugh- I'm not able to provide an underwater par meter for readings, sorry!

As of tonight I've received a single reading from whiterabbitrage (which I very much appreciate). Is there anyone else out there who can help contribute!?

Back