Building an LPS tank

Bluetangclan

I would post this on the newb area but I'm not really a newb, or in the reef section but I am trying for something specific. I have a few months before I start as I am sitting out in the desert for a few months but no reason not to research and plan out what I need to pick up.

That out of the way, I have a 125 with a 40 gal breeder being used as a sump for my current tank of African cichlids. They are going to be turned in for some meager store credit and I will restart it as a reef tank. I will pick up a barrel and put in an auto-topoff system into the sump. Other than the return pump and a heater I am starting back again relatively fresh. I have some old Korellias that might or might not work lol.

After about ten years out of the hobby, the age old DSB or no DSB is apparently still a major debate. I am thinking at least a 3" sand bed as I would like to have a leopard wrasse in the future once the tank has been going awhile.

Trying not to break the bank on this. I tend to go for as low tech as possible on my tanks. Whats a good lighting setup for a 4" tank for LPS? I heard Reefbreeder LEDs were pretty decent and if that was the most expensive thing I bought, I would be happy. But is there anything cheaper and more effective available?

I have had reef tanks before but mostly had easy SPS like monties and bird nests and mostly softies. What kind of skimmer is good for the sump? I might have an old euroreef clone still in the garage but wont know til I get home to check. I might as well budget for it in case I don't have one handy. What's a good skimmer for the money and how hard core should I skim?

I was thinking of a wavemaker? There anything efficient that will do a basic job and not cost an arm and a leg? Powerheads, I read an article recently that said they were far more power, flow, and heat efficient than the old days of having four or five Korellias in a 75. Not really sure how much flow LPSs need compared to high flow SPSs.

Really looking forward to this project as it is my retirement from the military present to me. Wife put her foot down on a saltwater tank while I was in the military as she didn't want to take care of it while I was away.

For fish I was thinking a Convict Tang, the eventual leopard wrasse a bi-color blenny and other smaller active fish, nothing crazy. I want activity and color instead of one or two big fish. I am more interested in inverts anyway.

I have noted in my absence, no one talks about Sally Lightfoot crabs anymore. Used to be a staple crab for peoples tanks.

As for lighting and powerheads, you can't go wrong with Mars Aqua LED's and jebao powerheads. They are cheap but not complete garbage. I like the new ow series jebao powerheads they seem much better then older series, you could go withn2 ow25's. The leds are about $96 new on eBay, for a lps tank you'd be good with 2.

Agreed on the jebao powerheads. For my tank I went with black box leds from amazon. For 100 bucks you can find a decent set. Probably one set for every two feet of tank or so

I had somewhat lower end LEDs on a tank that was 30" deep and they were 10" above the water's surface. I could grow LPS and easier SPS on the sandbed so I think if you go that route you should be able to grow most anything.

My current tank is similar to what you want, 125(6') with a 30g sump and ATO and is LPS/Zoa focused. My skimmer is rated for 400g and I skim heavy. Of course, I feed heavy. I have a leopard wrasses but my sandbed is closer to an inch. I had big fish before, this tank is small fish focused. I am doing plenty of wrasses and other bright fish.

My last tank I had mp40's that I kept so I'm suing those. I don't have them going even half of what they could pump out, but I do have some hammers fairly close to them.

Imo you get what you pay for with the jebaos. They are fine until they stop working which could be as early as 2 weeks or if you're lucky they'll last you a few years.
I am personally not a fan of black boxes either. The reef breeders are good if you're on a budget. Kessils are a little more pricy but they are really good for LPS tanks, they make the colors really pop.

Give us a budget and it would be easier to recommend equipment. Lps tanks do not really require much so it shouldn't be terribly expensive. You can obviously go cheap on alot of stuff but I would highly recommend getting a backup or two. Nothing worse than having powerheads go out and not having something to replace them with.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You could get away with the 32in version of the V2 reefbreeders led and it has a good warranty too. The 32 inch version should give you plenty of light at both ends. Also, check the used equipment section for sale

Corey

Back