BuildMyLED (BML) driver replacement

kurt_n

Figured I'd leave this here, since I really couldn't find much info online about replacing the driver/power supply for BuildMyLED strips. I've got a daylight and an actinic strip (36"), and the daylight driver decided to die last week after 6-1/2 years of use. Knew this day was coming. :)

After replacing both power supplies, I can vouch for this replacement as a one-for-one replacement. Light output was the same. Hope this helps someone, so they don't have to pour over the hundreds of different LED drivers out there. Ugg.

Original driver: LUC-060S105DT (60W for 36” strips)
Replacement driver: Meanwell HLG-60H-54B (This assumes 120V supply.)

Wiring Colors (The Meanwell comes with bare wires, so you'll need to cut the plugs off your original BML driver. These were the color combos on my drivers... your mileage may vary.)

Original --> Replacement

120V Incoming
Green --> Green/Yellow
White --> Blue
Black --> Brownish/Reddish

LED Output (60ish VDC)
Black --> Red
White --> Black

Dimming (0-10 VDC)
Gray --> Blue
Blue --> White
(Don't do anything with the Red on the original BML cable)

Thanks for the tip, I am assuming that BML does not have the parts anymore? I have the 18" model but I have not hooked them up yet.

Thanks for the tip, I am assuming that BML does not have the parts anymore? I have the 18" model but I have not hooked them up yet.

They may still be using the same drivers or updated ones. They dropped their aquarium line several years ago, the pot growing business using leds became too lucrative. Last I looked they were using the same kind of fixtures but now I can't remember the name of their plant growing business.

@ kurt n. Thanks for the info!

BML went out of business when the owners decided to focus on only hydroponics and started a new business just fo rthat. They were then bought out by another company 3 0r 4 years ago.

I've had to replace lenses also. It alters the light field somewhat but the frosted polycarbonate trouffer light covers from home improvemnt stores or clear acrylic works ok. Stips will need to be cut wide enough to be siliconed to hte heat sink.

@ kurt n. Thanks for the info!

BML went out of business when the owners decided to focus on only hydroponics and started a new business just fo rthat. They were then bought out by another company 3 0r 4 years ago.

I've had to replace lenses also. It alters the light field somewhat but the frosted polycarbonate trouffer light covers from home improvemnt stores or clear acrylic works ok. Stips will need to be cut wide enough to be siliconed to hte heat sink.

I thought hydroponics came first? That is what one of the owners told me at a frag swap that they had a booth at. They saw a need in the aquarium industry and decided to open BML for that side of the business. When I bought my lights from them they had a hydroponics website and the fixtures were the same except for different leds.

I didn't know the hydroponics business had been bought out. I had looked for them a few years ago but couldn't find anything.

I still think their led light strips were the best leds made. They were very close to t5s for coverage and looks. Only con I had against them were their cheap way they had for mounting the strips to the aquarium.

Yes, hydroponics did come first. With their aquarium stuff they had problems with the lenses burning where UV leds were mounted, same problem a lot of other led fisxtures have, and a lot of fixtures were getting returned under warrenty. That wasn't a problem with their hydroponics. I have fixtures I had custom built without the UV leds and they are still working as good as when I bought them. Unfortunately most aquarists believe UV is essential and don't consider fixtures without them :/ I bumped into Nic Krous 2 years ago at a local frag swap and that's when I found out they had sold the business.

Suggest the "AB" version of the meanwell driver.
Dimmable and current/voltage adjustable.

Suggest the "AB" version of the meanwell driver.
Dimmable and current/voltage adjustable.

Granted, the AB is a bit more versatile... but it's also not a readily stocked driver. I didn't have 20 weeks to wait. I got the "B" in two days thru Digikey.

But yeah... there are definitely more options out there. Just figured I'd post what I found that worked perfectly, with no adjustments necessary.

Granted, the AB is a bit more versatile... but it's also not a readily stocked driver. I didn't have 20 weeks to wait. I got the "B" in two days thru Digikey.

But yeah... there are definitely more options out there. Just figured I'd post what I found that worked perfectly, with no adjustments necessary.

Finding exact specs Meanwell to replace BML's Inventronic drivers is a challenge.
Even if you find a place for Inventronics drivers their catalog has been updated so no guarantee of an exact match there either.
Model naming has been upgraded multiple times since BML
https://www.inventronics-co.com/product/ebc-060sxxxdvsv-000x/

Usually the hardest was the mA exact match w/ a correct voltage range.

Of course different size LEd's use different drivers I believe.

Thanks though... I know it wasn't exactly easy.

https://www.inventronics-co.com/product/euc-060sxxxdtm000x/#product-models

Last edited:
Back