Buying LR in the Sacramento/Bay Area?

InOvrMyHead

Hello everyone,

I live in Reno, but in two weeks I'm heading over the hill to visit family in the Bay Area. I just got all my pieces and parts for a new 60g setup with a 30g fuge. I was hoping to pick up some nice LR and LS from a good store on my way back. I will be in San Francisco, but I will also be taking I-80 so any stores in the area or along the freeway on the way back would be great. I am looking for a porous rock with lots of colors. I know it's probably asking too much here, but I hope to find rock without aiptasia. I know it can be done because my buddy bought some from a lfs in Reno and he has never had aiptasia in the 6 years of his tank. I would gladly buy from them, but they have closed down and the only other lfs in Reno just opened and still has a lot of things to figure out.

Thank you all for your time,
Steve

Check out Your Reef because John has some nice Live rock, including Pukani, Tonga, and Figi. He's pretty reasonable too. You'll definitely want to stop by there anytime you head to Sac or the Bay:)

I appreciate the tip! I have heard great things about them and they are on the way back home. I am bummed because I heard they just did a sort of swap meet at their store with great stuff.

Thank you newbie916,
Steve

Yeah John definitely has a lot of nice rock. Awesome corals too. Aqua Life Aquarium in Rocklin usually has some rock that is completely covered in coraline. I picked up about 16 lbs 2 months ago. Last I checked they still had nice pieces. Worth a shot. Downside is it's 5.99 lb unless you buy 50 lbs or more then I think it drops by like .50 or 1.00 per pound. Your Reef is 3.99 lb for the live rock, and that's a steal. Tropical Aquarium Specialties is off of highway 50 and they have a special at 3.00 a lb., but to be honest I never actually inspected the rock. Oh and one of the pieces I got from Aqua Life did have a little aiptasia on it that I did not notice, but I have 2 peppermints that jumped on that stuff overnight...hope that helps...

Back